PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dado set stuck on table saw arbor

Shawn Christ
01-17-2010, 2:52 PM
I've spent the last half hour fighting with my stack dado set to get it off my table saw. I have half of it removed but the rest is holding tight. There's no play whatsoever. The outermost piece is a thin shim which I really don't want to bend up by prying it off.

It's a Freud stack dado set on a Grizzly G1023SL arbor. I got the saw in December and this is the first time I've used the dado set.

So... any ideas on how to get this off without causing any damage?

And... assuming I get this thing off any suggestions as to how to avoid this crap in the future? I have a spindle sander - maybe I can open up the arbor holes slightly on each piece.

Rod Sheridan
01-17-2010, 2:56 PM
Hi, try holding the arbour and rotating/pulling on the dado stack.

If it comes off, next step is to measure the arbour and the holes in the dado stack.

If you don't have measuring equipment take your dado to your local saw shop, they can check the bore for you.

If it's the dado send it back to Freud, if it's the saw arbour talk to Grizzly about it.

Regards, Rod.

Shawn Christ
01-17-2010, 3:08 PM
Thanks Rod. Your suggestion worked, everything is now off the saw.

I don't have a calipers or any other measuring equiment other than tapes and rules. By "saw shop", do you mean a sharpening service? I've got one nearby.

Has anybody else had problems with Grizzly's arbors?

I would guess it's the bore on the dado set. It was a little tight on my old saw but not this tight. And my 10" blades fit just fine. Maybe I will see what my sharpener says and talk to Freud. The set is at least 3 years old.

Thanks again for your quick help Rod.

Ed Griner
01-17-2010, 4:05 PM
When you freed up the remaining blades,segments,was there any dirt build up on the arbor,how about the blade holes? You might try putting the pieces that came off easily on first,the opposite of what they were before and maybe that will tell you the problem is the arbor,dado,or dirt. Good luck/Ed

Jerome Hanby
01-17-2010, 4:12 PM
I've had similar problems when the shims got down into the threads. Seems to be just dumb luck when it happens, most times it works perfectly. Maybe there are better shims out there someplace...

george wilson
01-17-2010, 4:24 PM
I agree. It's the shims that get jammed. Do NOT enlarge the holes in the dado set. You will never get smooth bottom dados again.

Greg Sznajdruk
01-17-2010, 4:40 PM
Can't remember where I got this idea but I cut a wedge out of my shims so that I can drop them onto the arbour. I use a pair of forceps to add or remove shims without taking off the dado stack.

Greg

Jerome Hanby
01-17-2010, 5:55 PM
The Veritas shims have a slot similar to that.

Can't remember where I got this idea but I cut a wedge out of my shims so that I can drop them onto the arbour. I use a pair of forceps to add or remove shims without taking off the dado stack.

Greg

george wilson
01-17-2010, 6:20 PM
That is a great idea!