PDA

View Full Version : Painting etched glass?

Cassondra Bennett
01-17-2010, 1:56 PM
I would likr to paint on some plates I just did to give them some color but not sure what to use.

I found these etched / painted bottles online http://www.personalcreations.com/congratulations_fireworks_choose_wine_champagne_or _non_alcholic-products-7H340X-2-312-31206.html
and wondered if anyone knows what they are using....the colors are very vibrant and thats the look I am wanting to achieve. They also have painted glasses that look like the same paint but say hand wash only.

I found glass paint at the craft store but when you put it on the glass it gives it more of a stained glass effect and you can kind of see threw it.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas about what to use.

Thanks so much

donald bugansky
01-17-2010, 3:50 PM
I bought a kit with about a dozen different colors. I've not used them on glass so I'm not sure how it all works.

Dee Gallo (a member here) seems to do alot of color fill. PM her as she's great at offering help.

http://www.laserbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72_209

Hope this helps.

Dee Gallo
01-18-2010, 9:00 PM
Hi Cassondra,

Pebeo makes a series of paints for ceramics and glass which come in a lot of colors and can be mixed to whatever you need. For a really opaque look on glass, you might try filling with white first and when dry, cover with the color of your choice. The white will really make the color pop. Mixing a VERY small amount of white with your color will also make it more dense, although it will alter the color a bit. But from the sample you cite, that might be what they did, since the colors seem light.

You might experiment with acrylic first to see how that works, but acrylic might peel off.

Hope this helps, dee

Dee Gearhart
01-18-2010, 9:05 PM
I am new here, but saw your question, what about rub-n-buff? It comes in several colors, though they are mostly pastel or metallics, just a thought. If you haven't heard of it you can buy it at most craft stores, worked great on glass mugs I did, I used the gold, but they came out great, it only sticks to the lasered area the rest rubs off quite easily. good luck

Dan Hintz
01-19-2010, 7:25 AM
Cassondra,

The paints for custom bottles are usually enamels so they can handle the high temps seen with sterilizing. I considered at one point doing high end bottles for the local vineyards, but I stepped back from it after I did a cost analysis... it would take me too much time for multiple colors on all but the most simple of designs, so I usually stick with single-color whenever possible.

Bill W. White
01-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Might be an overkill but automotive urethanes airbrushed on glass gives a great looking finish and there are unlimited colors. Once sealed with a clear coat the color is very stable...

Bill W.

Harper Abbot
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Dan,

I'm interested in what kind of paint you were able to use to produce a clear, lasting image on a bottle. I'm interested in stamping images onto glass, and have not found a product that looks like it will show up well and hold up to handling and use.

Thanks!

Dan Hintz
05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I can't help with stamping inks, but (depending upon project and customer's willingness to part with the appropriate amount of money) I tend towards automotive paints. Great color consistency batch to batch, I can reorder the same color years down the road, and it stands up to UV (great for when the bottle is empty and placed in a window for show), etc.

Larry Bratton
05-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Dan,

I'm interested in what kind of paint you were able to use to produce a clear, lasting image on a bottle. I'm interested in stamping images onto glass, and have not found a product that looks like it will show up well and hold up to handling and use.

Thanks!
This is not paint, but a water slide decal that is made for ceramics. You print it with a laser printer, apply it and then fire it in a kiln. http://www.beldecal.com/laser_paper.html