PDA

View Full Version : Sander Score & Rehab

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 2:43 PM
I picked up a used, older Delta Finishing Sander, model 52-611 a few weeks ago. I have wanted one of these for a long time but the newer ones don’t seem as well built, and IMHO, they have a little too much plastic on them. The 52-611 is all cast iron, steel & aluminum construction and made in America.
While the sander was wired backwards:confused: , filthy and had some surface rust on the tables, it was in pretty good shape overall. I added a new link belt, Delta mobile base, power cord, new abrasives, and about 50 lbs. of ballast. The machine is very smooth running, and passes the nickel test from startup through shutdown.

I have one gripe for the people at Delta - there wasn’t any dust collection below the 12” disc. As a $50 option, you can order the cheaply made but effective sheet metal box & 3” tube that will bolt up to the bottom of the disc housing. The box/tube should be standard equipment!
I machined a flange to center the 3” tube in the 4” cabinet hole. I also machined two aluminum reducers to adapt the oddball 3” ports to a standard 2¼” vac hose. The dust collection is excellent with my Turbo III hooked up.

Chris Padilla
10-18-2004, 4:16 PM
No before pics, Bruce?! The thing looks brand-spanking new...very crisp and clean! Now go make some dust! :)

Tyler Howell
10-18-2004, 4:26 PM
Very Nice Bruce and your Mods are 1st class as well.

Jerry Olexa
10-18-2004, 4:51 PM
Excellent job of restoring!! You should be PROUD!! Enjoy it!!! Sometimes Things like that are more satisying than a BRAND NEW store bought tool..

Jim Becker
10-18-2004, 5:27 PM
Very nice job prepping that puppy for use, Bruce! I also like those nice shiny aluminum adapters...very kewel.

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 5:42 PM
No before pics, Bruce?! The thing looks brand-spanking new...very crisp and clean! Now go make some dust! :)Chris, before pic's;

John Miliunas
10-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Very nice job on the refurb, Bruce! :) Man, it must be nice to have access and know how to use the metalworking tools for a project like that! Lookin' good! :cool:

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Very nice job on the refurb, Bruce! :) Man, it must be nice to have access and know how to use the metalworking tools for a project like that! Lookin' good! :cool:Thanks John, the metal working stuff does come in handy. I don't know what I'd do without it. :eek:

Kelly C. Hanna
10-19-2004, 1:58 AM
Wow, that cleaned up nice Bruce! I like rehabbing old things...just look in my driveway for proof. Congrats on the new tool.

Dominic Greco
10-19-2004, 7:47 AM
Bruce,
Excellent job on restoring this tool! I especially like your machined dust connections! :D

Don't you just love "big old iron"? ;) I recently came into possession of a 8" Delta/Rockwell Jointer. It was in great shape when I got it (from our own Bill grumbine) but lacked the dust collection port, and motor cabinet door.

After seeing your post, I really look forward to putting my own special touches on it as you did with your sander.

John Weber
10-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Sweet! Great sander, beautiful restoration!

John

Chris Padilla
10-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Yep, having a metal lathe would sure be nice...better than a ww'ing lathe!! hahahahaha :D :D

earl stirling
12-30-2012, 7:20 PM
Hey, Bruce,

I just picked up one of the same series sanders that I've just re-finished. It doesn't have the adapter for the dust collector below the disc. I've been searching for (as you state it ;) "the cheaply made but effective sheet metal box & 3” tube that will bolt up to the bottom of the disc housing" but I can't find it anywhere. Any hints as to where you found it?

I picked up a used, older Delta Finishing Sander, model 52-611 a few weeks ago. I have wanted one of these for a long time but the newer ones don’t seem as well built, and IMHO, they have a little too much plastic on them. The 52-611 is all cast iron, steel & aluminum construction and made in America.
While the sander was wired backwards:confused: , filthy and had some surface rust on the tables, it was in pretty good shape overall. I added a new link belt, Delta mobile base, power cord, new abrasives, and about 50 lbs. of ballast. The machine is very smooth running, and passes the nickel test from startup through shutdown.

I have one gripe for the people at Delta - there wasn’t any dust collection below the 12” disc. As a $50 option, you can order the cheaply made but effective sheet metal box & 3” tube that will bolt up to the bottom of the disc housing.The box/tube should be standard equipment!
I machined a flange to center the 3” tube in the 4” cabinet hole. I also machined two aluminum reducers to adapt the oddball 3” ports to a standard 2¼” vac hose. The dust collection is excellent with my Turbo III hooked up.

Bruce Page
12-30-2012, 7:50 PM
Earl, I don't think they are available anymore. Someone else asked me about it a few years ago. I looked high & low for it but couldn't fine one.

Calvin Jamison
06-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks, you convinced me to go ahead and buy it. Have a good one.

Calvin Jamison
06-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Very nice! I will post some pics of mine when I'm when I'm done with it.