PDA

View Full Version : Bosch jig saw for band saw work?

Matthew Wright
01-17-2010, 12:09 PM
A band saw is just not in the budget right now, and won't be for the foreseeable future. I have looked hard at the Craftsman and Rikon 10" models, but even those are a little beyond the easily-affordable range right now and many reviews suggest I will want something bigger long before I'm in a position to buy another.

I have a coping saw, and I'm learning to use it, but it is really slow even on 3/8" stock.

I'm wondering whether the bosch barrel-handled jig saw would be a decent stop-gap measure for doing traditional band saw jobs (cutting curves and profiles). I'm still a beginner, but lots of things I would like to build (e.g. blocks or other toys for the children, a fancy push-block) are generally cut on the band saw. I wonder if the jig saw would be adequate?

According to the Amazon reviews, the Bosch leaves a much smoother cut than a typical jig saw, and the barrel handle makes it easier to follow a line. Popular Woodworking's "I can build it" series also recommends the barrel handle.

So, what do you think? Obviously I can't resaw or cut my own veneers with a jig saw. But for "scroll" type work normally done on a band saw - - will the jig saw do the trick?

Thanks,

Matthew

Myk Rian
01-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Sure. Build a table for it and mount it on the underside.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I have the Rikon 10". It is a sweet little saw, not a whole lot more than a new Bosch. (Last time I checked) I cut the full height of the saw in mahogany, and it cuts straight. If you're going to do scroll type work, I'd suggest getting the band saw, or a scroll saw.
IMO a jigsaw is a stop-gap. You'll stop, then buy a band saw anyways. The Bosch is a top notch saw though, it may be adequate.

Just my $.02.

peter leyden
01-17-2010, 12:57 PM
I have a Bosch jigsaw - the top handle model - and it is great. The only limitation is that when used with a narrow scrolling type blade it is difficult to see where you are cutting. Other than that, it is head and shoulders over any other jigsaw I've used.
Pete Leyden

Brian W Evans
01-17-2010, 1:08 PM
They're different tools (the bandsaw and the jigsaw), so one is not a replacement for the other most of the time. Since you seem to understand this and are going to plan to buy a bandsaw in the future, I'd say go for it. 10" is small for a bandsaw, anyway. Save up for when a good 14" comes on Craigslist.

I have the Bosch barrel grip and I love it. It's in a whole different league than most of the other jigsaws I've used. If you do projects around the house, you'll find plenty of uses for it in addition to woodworking.

I would think that, between the coping saw and jigsaw, you'd be fine for quite a while.

William Falberg
01-17-2010, 1:41 PM
By all means get the Bosch. It does as much or more than most guys get out of a band saw anyway. Get the long blades; clamp your workpiece solid. When you finally get a bandsaw, you'll still have a good jig saw and you'll know how to cut wood. Jig saws, like bandsaws, are only as effective as their operators anyway. Believe it or not, I never use a bandsaw other than to demonstrate; all my shop work is done with a Bosch.

Matthew Wright
01-17-2010, 1:56 PM
Thanks for all the responses so far. William - - yours became even MORE interesting when I visited your website!

Mike Henderson
01-17-2010, 2:15 PM
When I was just starting woodworking and didn't have a bandsaw, I used a jigsaw and managed to turn out work. And the jig saw I had was not a very good one.

Mike

John McClanahan
01-17-2010, 2:21 PM
If you get the Bosch, you could mount it upside down in a table, with the blade pointing up. Then nothing will be in the way to see. It would then be used like a band saw. Be sure to use the good Bosch blades.

John

Van Huskey
01-17-2010, 3:19 PM
Bosch makes an excellent jigsaw. You can get MANY bandsaw jobs done with a jig saw. Isn't the Sears 10" near the price of the Bosch though? Also, don't blindly buy a barrel handle over a top handle, I personally don't like them and they feel strange to me, make sure you use both prior to purchase. As others have mentioned Bosch makes excellent blades as well.

David Helm
01-17-2010, 6:37 PM
I've been using the Bosch jigsaw for many years (top handle model) as a carpenter. I still think its the best on the market, certainly for the price. They have a wide variety of blade types. I happen to like the one that cuts on both the upstroke and the downstroke for clean cuts. Remember that you are likely to get blade drift with any jigsaw so it is important to be able to adjust for this. Longer blades, all things being equal, will drift more than shorter ones.

Aaron Wingert
01-17-2010, 6:57 PM
I agree, and especially since you seem to be mostly working with 3/8" stock. If you were trying to cut much thicker material I think you'd suffer the effects of the jigsaw blade wandering, but that shouldn't be much of a problem with 3/8" stock and proper technique. The bosch is a quality tool, that's for sure. Personally I'd opt for the barrel handle as opposed to the top handle...Being a guy that opted for a top handle jigsaw and has regretted it many times.

William Falberg
01-17-2010, 7:26 PM
I have four Bosch jig saws, all top-handled (they get hot when you use them hard and the handle saves palm-hide; strictly individual preference). The only wandering I've encountered yet is my attention. It's one of those tools that depends on skill to get the best result. For tips: clamp it tight; hold it with both hands; keep the platen tight and level (on a flat surface); or tight against whatever; check the platen's levelness often (it "wanders" if you don't hold it flat) ; the factory platens are mild steel and tend to bend up at the front "forks" when you let them pound on the front end (which I do a lot; I've since had tool-steel base-plates custom machined to correct this OEM design flaw) but you can also take them off and beat them back to flatness (Bosches get their speed and power from the under-cut between the blade and those front forks, therefore keep the back of the baseplate flatter to the surface than the front) ; as always, let the tool do the work (it's tempting to force them, they're not as fast as your 2HP table saw (wonder why); the blades don't have carbide tips like your table saw either, so replace them once in a while; experiment with different blades - they make a huge difference, too.

Sean Nagle
01-17-2010, 7:44 PM
I have the Bosch top-handle jig saw, excellent tool. If you're cutting curves with 2" or thinner stock, a jig saw can do just about anything a bandsaw can do. I own two bandsaws yet there are cuts that I have to use my Bosch jig saw for.

Brandon Weiss
01-17-2010, 8:01 PM
Matthew,
I'm in your same situation. Can't afford the band saw right now but knew I would need a jig saw at some point. I'm going to wait until I can afford a good quality 14" BS or so. I'd like any of my big tool purchases to be quality equipment, so I'll wait as long as I have to. I pulled the trigger on the barrel grip Bosch on Amazon. Got a killer deal, delivered for $149. I've only used it on one project so far, a deck in the back yard. I had to make some cuts my CMS couldn't make because of the angle. I had never used the barrel grip style before and after the first cut I LOVED IT. It felt like I had an awesome amount of control with the barrel grip saw. I could easily get at a close but safe viewing distance of the cut and having my hand right at the same level is definitely a bonus. I bought the mixed set of blades from Lowe's. So far I'm very impressed with the barrel grip saw. Can't wait to use it again. I say go for it. Check out Amazon and wait for a price you're happy with. Amazon right now has it at $159 with free shipping. You won't regret it. Or, if you would rather buy from a BORG, go on Ebay, buy some Lowe's 10% off coupons, and take one of them there or Home Depot. Both places take the coupons. Not sure if Menard's does the same thing or not. No Menard's here in the Southwest. I always keep a stock of 10% off coupons in my wallet. Constantly buy them on Ebay. Saved me tons.

Good luck!

Chris Kennedy
01-17-2010, 8:21 PM
I'll add my voice to the mix. I have the top handle 1587 model. They have a more powerful model on the market now (1590, 1591?). Mine is 5 amps and the more powerful is 6 amps.

At the level of jigsaws, I think it has no comparison. It is a great little saw, and I have used it for all manner of things. Various members of my family have used it at times and the reaction is always the same -- "so that's what a good jigsaw can do."

As for the barrel vs. top handle -- to each his own. I prefer the top handle, myself, but I don't do a lot of fancy scroll work, where the top handle may be preferable. I just feel I have more control.

One warning since this is your stopgap until you buy a bandsaw. I have found the jigsaw not to be the greatest on curves on thick lumber. An earlier post said about 2" -- I think I was cutting 1.75" and I came at the curve from both ends, and at the middle, it was a mess. The blade deflection was a problem, and almost certainly, so was my technique. It is something that you may have to practice and work at that a bandsaw wouldn't require.

On the other hand, even if I had the money to afford a wonderful bandsaw, I wouldn't be without my Bosch jigsaw.

Cheers,

Chris

Dan Forman
01-18-2010, 4:04 AM
The 1590/91 series is the way to go, they have a blade support on the foot to minimize/prevent blade wandering. My jig saw is one of the most used corded hand tools. It will do things a 10" bandsaw can't do, like cut ply or panels wider than 10". I frequently have used mine to rough cut long boards down to size to fit on the table saw. Also very handy if you need to make a cutout in a larger piece.

Dan

Mike Tidd
01-18-2010, 4:57 AM
Matt

Sometimes when I'm too busy to be bothered to change the BS blade to something smaller for tighter curves on 1" to 2" stock I'll get out the bosch barrel and don't regret it.
Definitely recommend the Bosch blades, get an assortment, something for every job.

Mike