PDA

View Full Version : Raised Queen Bed Platform

Todd Burch
10-18-2004, 2:22 PM
This was a quick project. I think I spent about 6 hours onsite, and probably a little over a day in the shop making everything ahead of time.

The client wanted a platform about 4' in the air so she could see her garden in the backyard from her bed. Raising a platform created a lot of space under the bed for storage. She wanted doors with character, so I used birdseye pine batten doors and she will milk paint them on her own.

The ladder was fun too. About a 12.5° angle off plumb to keep it close and tight to the bed. I used 1" thick by 5" wide poplar for the ladder. To cut the long angles where it meets the plywood, I cut with a jog saw proud of the line then handplaned to the line. Add a little wax to the bottom of a sharp #6 fore plane and it will just about fly out of your hands it is so slick!

I made the doors, the box frame, stop and outer frame and put them together as a unit. I installed them into the sheet plywood holes onsite. She will get faux iron strap hinges and an iron handle on her own.

I''ll take a final picture after she gets it painted and the carpet guy does his thing.

Thanks for looking. Todd

Dan Gill
10-18-2004, 2:26 PM
Nice work, Todd. I have to wonder how she'll make the bed up and get into it. Is the head going to the side, or against the window? Interesting . . .

Todd Burch
10-18-2004, 2:33 PM
Head against the window. Making it... that will prove interesting, and is beyond the scope of the problem I was hired to solve :) :)

Todd Burch
10-18-2004, 2:35 PM
Here's what it looked like before and with just the platform framing.

Tyler Howell
10-18-2004, 2:45 PM
Cooool! I want One.

David LaRue
10-18-2004, 8:00 PM
Todd,

I'm always amazaed at your work... as alwas FANTASTIC.

I was wondering if you have any code issues with the windows, do you need tempered safey glass with plastic since your point of egress is now even with the window? I don't know the answer, perhaps some one else may know?

David

Ted Shrader
10-18-2004, 8:46 PM
Todd -

Another fine job. I'm glad I don't have to make that bed. Looks like you have to be on the bed to make it.

Ted

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 9:30 PM
Head against the window. Making it... that will prove interesting, and is beyond the scope of the problem I was hired to solve :) :)
Interesting design. The platform beds up at the "man camp" where I stay in Kodiak are very similar and are a major pain to make!

John Miliunas
10-18-2004, 9:35 PM
As usual, very well done, Todd. :) Seems to me that you get these really custom requests on a fairly regular basis. Word must be getting out! :cool:

Dan Gill
10-19-2004, 8:53 AM
Actually, although it will be a pain to make the bed, I think it's a nice use of that space. When I was a kid we had a big walk-in closet with a platform at the back. I always thought it would be cool to sleep there. Of course, it would have been stuffy, smelly, hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, but - hey - I was a kid and didn't know any better.

At any rate, it's still a great job, Todd, and I appreciate you sharing it with us. Maybe you should come up to the Dallas BBQ this weekend.

Todd Burch
10-19-2004, 2:47 PM
Dan, I'll be thar!