PDA

View Full Version : MacBook won't play DVD

Jim Barrett
01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I have a MacBook about 1 yr old and it has been wonderful! I have a DVD, Mastering DT's and it will not play....it plays fine on my home DVD player, and my PC's...just won't play on my MacBook. I had my friend try it on her MacBook as well...no go. I am stumped.
I can play all kinds of other DVD's on my MacBook without any problems...just not this particular one. I made a copy of it on my PC and tried the copy....No good.
Thanks,
Jim

Brian Kent
01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Does it play on the PC?

Jim Barrett
01-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes it plays on everything I tried except for my MacBook along with my friends MacBook.

JIm

Dave Johnson29
01-17-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a MacBook about 1 yr old and it has been wonderful!

Sounds like it might be a DRM issue. One of the "joys" of departing from the mainstream PC fields.

Eric Franklin
01-17-2010, 3:17 PM
Was the original DVD pressed? If it wasn't pressed, I would suspect a problem with your DVD drive not recognizing burnt media and I would take it in to get it checked out. You shouldn't have a problem reading a standard DVD and your copy makes me point to a defective DVD player.

Jim Barrett
01-17-2010, 3:31 PM
Not sure what you mean by "pressed". So far I have tried this DVD on 3 macbooks...none of them can play this DVD...weird.

Jim

Brian Kent
01-17-2010, 5:12 PM
Give this a try -- go to videolan.org, download VLC, and try to play the DVD using that app instead of apple's own DVD Player.

It could be the DVD was made by someone who didn't know the proper steps to formalize it as a "true" DVD, and it's more a case of "random video file on DVD media"

Eric Franklin
01-17-2010, 7:44 PM
Not sure what you mean by "pressed". So far I have tried this DVD on 3 macbooks...none of them can play this DVD...weird.

Jim

VD Mass Replication
In contrast to DVD duplication which is usually performed on a small scale at the desktop level, DVD mass replication is typically used to make huge quantities of discs such as commercial DVD movies and software DVD-ROMs. These prerecorded (pressed) discs are manufactured from a mold in a factory setting and are created using a complete series of industrial processes including premastering, mastering, electroplating, injection molding, metallization, bonding, spin coating, printing and advanced quality control. In addition to manufacturing discs, many replication companies offer companion services including packaging, printing, distribution and fulfillment.

from:http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa8.htmnn.com/

Myk Rian
01-17-2010, 8:23 PM
Not sure what you mean by "pressed".
That's how records (remember those?) were made. A chunk of vinyl was put in a press, and out popped an LP.

Jim Barrett
01-18-2010, 9:34 PM
I gave up....tried this DVD on a host of MacBooks and none can play it. So I just watch it on my PC. Must be some kind of formatting issue as the Mac's don't even recognize the DVD.

Jim

Jim Barrett
01-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Purchased Lonnie Bird's "Mastering Handplanes", same issue won't play on Mac. I sent Lonnie an email and he confirmed that the DVDs don't play on Macs. End of story.

Jim