PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using new Makita LS1016L?

Jeff Nolan
01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I've been thinking about upgrading my LS1013 to the new LS1016 but in reading the reviews, some of them very detailed, on Amazon I am wondering if I should hold off until Makita works out some of the kinks.

The big issues seem to be the smoothness of the roller bearings, the miter stops breaking, and the fence coming out of alignment with little effort.

I had a hands on with this new model at my local tool shop and there is a lot to like although I did find the roller action to be a little stiff. The reason I am asking is that the Amazon reviews for tools often have a lot of contractor contributions and those guys are a lot rougher their gear (mobility) than woodworkers so I'm wondering how much weight I should give the negative comments.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Jeff, what would you be gaining by the upgrade?

Jeff Nolan
01-17-2010, 12:09 PM
well my 1013 is a little sloppy after a great many years of daily use, it's just due to be replaced... but the big advantage for me is that this model requires less clearance behind the saw which means I can move my entire miter station back a few inches in what is a busy walkway in my shop, which is nice because of how the locking knobs project in the front of the 1013 I actually bent the rod one day walking into it.

I would also get a little more depth of cut, which would be handy for some of my work.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-17-2010, 12:15 PM
I've looked at one, but didn't get to try it out. Looks nice. I have caught myself on the adjuster knob too. Personally I don't put much stock into the Amazon reviews. There is no accountability that I know of, so what's to keep someone from trashing a tool to sell more of theirs. Good luck!

Jeff Nolan
01-17-2010, 1:23 PM
by and large agree with you but check out the reviews on this particular tool... they are incredibly thoughtful and detailed, as well as balanced, but in this instance it's hard to determine if the reviews fit for me because contractor use is a lot different than what I put to it.

I've looked at one, but didn't get to try it out. Looks nice. I have caught myself on the adjuster knob too. Personally I don't put much stock into the Amazon reviews. There is no accountability that I know of, so what's to keep someone from trashing a tool to sell more of theirs. Good luck!