PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Gustav damaged live oak LSU pen

Roger Bullock
01-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I like to turn pens from wood that has a history. This pen was turned from a damaged limb off of a Live Oak tree that I rescued from the campus of Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge after Hurricane Gustav.

Steve Mawson
01-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I see you are from Illinois and the wood from LSU so there has to be more to this story. Like the pen to.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Very nice work on the pen Roger! Great looking finish!

Roger Bullock
01-17-2010, 2:39 PM
Steve, I'm a independent catastrophe adjuster and was working the area after the hurricane. And Steve finish is CA followed by EEE and Shellawax cream.

Billy Tallant
01-18-2010, 3:23 AM
Roger,

Very nice looking pen. It is always nice to make something that has a history behind it.

Heather Herman
07-24-2011, 4:53 PM
Hi Roger,
I work at LSU and would like to purchase one of these pens to give as gifts to our alumni. Would you please contact me at hheathm@lsu.edu? Thanks Heather

steve mcconnell
07-25-2011, 2:57 PM
Nice looking pen. I love the history aspects of these type things as well.

Unfortunately, just to be a complete kill-joy here, you do need to be somewhat careful about marketing these as being associated with LSU (or enter any other NCAA university here) I had the same thoughts about some UNC-Chapel Hill wood, and was warned about this exact thing. Especially for Universities with strong brands (LSU, UNC etc), they are rather protective about their brands, and have set up licensing arms (armies?) for this.

Just something ridiculous to check out before you get too far down the road. I am not a lawyer, just passing on the same cautions I got.

I still like the pen though :)