PDA

View Full Version : Walnut from Modesto Bowl!

Chris Padilla
10-18-2004, 2:10 PM
I posted about getting this walnut a ways back. This bowl was mostly turned by Scott Coffelt at Terry Hatfield's shindig a few weekends ago. It has incredible figure.

It was all finished up by Dennis Peacock and he just got it mailed out to me.

Thanks a lot, Everyone...it is simply beautiful...what an amazing piece Mother Nature created!

Chris Padilla
10-18-2004, 2:11 PM
Few more....

Donnie Raines
10-18-2004, 2:19 PM
AHHHHH-SOME!!!.......now what are you going to do with it??..... :p

Dan Gill
10-18-2004, 2:27 PM
Lovely, lovely piece. Beautiful grain.

Waymon Campbell
10-18-2004, 2:45 PM
Nice work Scott and Dennis...

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2004, 2:47 PM
Teamwork produced a beautiful piece! But.....Tell me Chris.......how do you really feel about it? :rolleyes:

Dick Heifner
10-18-2004, 3:26 PM
Hey Chris,
Maybe next time they will let you sharpen thier tools. Nice work. I live in Tracy and Walnut wood is used for fire wood. What a waste huh!

Dick 38:confused:

Chris Padilla
10-18-2004, 3:30 PM
Dick, pull some of the logs outa the cord and turn 'em! You might find a gem as I did! :)

Hey, I just took some lessons in sharpening planes and chisels so I might be able to do a decent job sharpening now! :)

Here are some pics from the BBQ showing the bowl being turned...these have been posted here before. The first is Scott shaping the outside and we have "Dr." Turner, Mr. Kevin Gertsenecker showing us a few things. We did have to administer some CA glue to fix some cracks that started showing up.

Rich Konopka
10-18-2004, 3:36 PM
AHHHHH-SOME!!!.......now what are you going to do with it??..... :p

I think He is going to sleep with it. :p :p Just like when a kid gets a new toy !!!

The figure and finish are beautiful. Now I know why people get that spinny thing.

Scott Coffelt
10-18-2004, 3:52 PM
Man, it looks even more beautiful finished then it did when it was being turned. The figure really pops out on it. Who would have thought a piece of firewood would have looked that nice.

What's the wife think about it? Maybe she'll let you display it somewhere, besides the shop.

Chris Padilla
10-18-2004, 4:00 PM
She was quite impressed with the figure and movement...who wouldn't be?? :)

Since she saw the cube blank when I brought it with me, she had a lot more appreciation for what came out of it! I think it'll be a nice contrasting piece on the maple EC!

Thanks, again, Scott & Dennis!

Steve Clardy
10-18-2004, 4:41 PM
Hey it does look kinda familiar there Brother.:eek:
Looks totally different than the last I seen it. Looks fantastic.:)
Now, as above, tell us again how you REALLY feel about??:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2004, 4:58 PM
Where's Mom Clardy?.......one twin's trying to pick a fight with the other AGAIN!!!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :p

Jim Becker
10-18-2004, 5:24 PM
"I think he likes it!!"

Chris, that's awesome. Nice job by Scott and Dennis. Beautiful turning and beautiful chunk of walnut.

Chris Padilla
10-18-2004, 5:43 PM
This bowl has such awesome figure on all sides that I should probably put it on some kind of slowly rotating platform...slightly tipped over, too. :)

Steve Clardy
10-18-2004, 6:17 PM
Where's Mom Clardy?.......one twin's trying to pick a fight with the other AGAIN!!!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :p
We keep MOM hid out back.:eek: She looks kinda like Chris, so-----well, surely you understand Ken.:rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
10-18-2004, 6:18 PM
It takes a village! And again what was your part Chris???:D

Beautiful team effort.

Dennis Peacock
10-18-2004, 6:21 PM
Thanks for the kind words and compliments everyone. I considered it an honor to finish up this bowl for Chris....even though he IS from Cal-eye-fornee ya know....and even though I didn't pronounce his last name correctly, it's the least I could do. The finish is blonde shellac, padded and 5 coats. Took just over a week to finish up parttime allowing 24 hours between each successive coat after the first two coats.

Nuttin' too good for fellow woodworkers!!!! :rolleyes: :D :D

Chris Padilla
10-18-2004, 7:32 PM
Hey...lay off Mom...God made her and me that way!! ;) The real question should go to Dad!!! :p

Tyler, I brought the blank for the bowl for folks to "play with" on the spinny thing. None of us realized what was inside that blank waiting to be discovered! :D Lucky me to have such friends.... :)

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-18-2004, 7:41 PM
The Bowl looks great Chris! With all that was going on with that Walnut, I knew that thang was gonna ROCK when it had a finish applied. That shore is a purty sucker! Thanks for sharing the final product.................it looks REALLY nice! Dennis nailed the finish too. :)

Dennis Peacock
10-18-2004, 7:46 PM
Dennis nailed the finish too. :)

But Kevin......I never used a single nail on that bowl!!!!!! At least none that Chris can find any way.!!! :rolleyes: :p ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-18-2004, 7:47 PM
Arkies.......................man Dennis, to I have ta 'splain EVERTHANG to you'uns? :D

Kelly C. Hanna
10-18-2004, 7:49 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! Great work by the crew...what did you finish it with Dennis?

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-18-2004, 7:52 PM
Kelly, I believe in a previous post, Dennis mentioned he padded on about 5 coats of shellac. Whatever he did, it worked................popped that dude good, huh? ;)

Kelly C. Hanna
10-18-2004, 8:00 PM
Sure did...I missed that line in his post when I skimmed down the page. Sure looks nice. Next year I want to bring something for you guys to turn. One of those bowls would look great on our kitchen island!!

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-18-2004, 8:05 PM
Kelly, if you bring it, they will turn! (Didn't I hear that in a movie once?) :D If ya have something you want turned before then, I think I could spin something for ya, or we could "gang up" on it next year.........either way would be good. Now Kelly, EVERYBODY should have at least ONE turned bowl on the kitchen Island! :D

Chris Padilla
10-18-2004, 8:09 PM
Actually, I had to whine a fair amount before I finally got that chunk hooked up to the lathe!! Get your piece in early next time!!! ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-18-2004, 8:21 PM
Next time, me thinks we will have more lathes. I am gonna drag the big Delta along for the ride. I just need some help getting it out of the truck, and back into the truck.......................she's a HEAVY momma! :D

John Miliunas
10-18-2004, 9:41 PM
Chris, you're a lucky fellow, three times over! Once for coming up with that wonderful piece of Mother Nature and two more times in the form of Scott and Dennis! :) Great job on the bowl, gentlemen! I'm *sure* Chris and LOHL will find a prominent place in their home to display it. I know *I* would! :cool:

Steve Clardy
10-18-2004, 9:53 PM
Hey...lay off Mom...God made her and me that way!! ;) The real question should go to Dad!!! :p

Hey Hey. Lets leave ol DAD out of this.:rolleyes: Man. Got enough problems with Mom as it is.:eek::eek::eek:

Oh. Did I tell ya I like the bowl?;)

Kelly C. Hanna
10-19-2004, 8:29 AM
Slowly we turned...nope that's another movie....:D

Jana won the beautiful Cherry trivet that Dennis had spun. So we do have at least one turned piece on the island, but I love that bowl. If I stumble on a good piece before the BBQ next year at Terry's, I might send it out...thanks for the offer!

Mark Stutz
10-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Slowly but surely.....Chris will be lured to the other side! ;) :D

Chris Padilla
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I posted this almost 4 years ago...when we didn't have a turning forum...thought y'all might enjoy it.

Steve Clardy
05-09-2008, 12:12 PM
You old thread digger upper. :D

Chris Padilla
05-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Guilty as charged! :D

I was just thinking that this walnut bowl is the only thing I've ever really turned (although I only did a small amount of it) and no one in this forum has really seen it. My only spinny thing! :D