PDA

View Full Version : Diamond wheel dresser? Check out the Geiger!

Dan Forman
01-17-2010, 5:40 AM
Since it sounds like the other recent thread sparked some interest in the Wolverine wheel dresser, I thought I would bring this alternative to your attention. I have both dressers, and much prefer this one to the Wolverine. Geiger's Solutions Wheel Truing & Dressing Solution (http://www.geigerssolutions.com/trudress.html)

My evaluation: The main difference between the two units is the solidity and energy transfer of the Geiger. The Wolverine has that elbow joint and feels kind of rickety. It flexes and bounces in use, so a lot of the energy is lost. Any vibration from the grinder is transferred via the dual arms of the jig in use, which might explain why I couldn't get the wheels true with it - they would clean up, but tools would still bounce when I was done. With the Wolverine, to rotate the diamond takes a separate step, and it can move in or out relative to the arm when you do it.

However with the Geiger, the 1/2 carat diamond (twice that of the Woverine) is rotated each time it's advanced, which should account for more even wear, and the projection doesn't need to be reset. The sheer density and mass of the unit (1 3/4 pounds) makes it rock solid on the platform, it seems much less affected by vibration coming from the grinder itself, and there is very little transfer of energy back into the system from the wheel. For the first time in two years, my tools didn't bounce while sharpening. I also found that the wire edge on my skews was about half as pronounced as they were before, presumably from the lack of collision with the wheel every nanosecond.

I like the rest of the Wolverine system enough that I bought one for my slow speed grinder too, but will use the Geiger to true the wheels (which are mounted on Oneway balancers).

No connection to Mr. Geiger other than being a very happy customer. His service is tops too. Called me after a couple of weeks to make sure it was working properly and see if I had any questions.

Too late now, but I'll take and post some comparison pics on Monday if there is interest.

Dan

Tony De Masi
01-17-2010, 7:53 AM
When Bill Grumbine demonstrated at our club he was selling a very similar product, if not the same. His price was $75.

Tony

Dick Strauss
01-17-2010, 11:23 AM
If folks have machining skills, you may want to consider making your own. Enco carries single point dressers (1/2 carat size) in both 3/8" and 7/16" for $18. You want to put a 10-15* angle between the diamond and wheel (and also rotate regularly) to increase the life of the diamond. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=398-8510&PMPXNO=947315&PARTPG=INLMK32

Sean Hughto
01-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Doesn't this system require that the platform edge be straight and square relative to the wheel's sharpening surface and the rest of your system? What if the platform manufacturer never intended it to be a reference and therefore didn't worry about manufacturing it to any great tolerance of squareness? Would it effect the sharpening by potentially giving you a wheel that while round, lacks an edge square to the wheel's sides (i.e. the diameter varies from one edge to the other)?

Dan Forman
01-17-2010, 4:47 PM
Sean---I never considered that, but then again I don't use any fixed jigs on my grinder that would require an absolutely square to the platform wheel, so it's not really an issue for me. I did have to true up the back of the Wolverine platform, as there is a weld there that was not very clean. Part of the instructions is to take a file and make a bit of a chamfer on the back of the tool rest platform to that the machined corner of dresser isn't thrown off by anything. I had to do a little more than that to clean up the weld.

In the interest of science, I did just go down and measure mine, and the wheel is as square to the platform as I'm able to measure with a Starrett combo square. :)

Dan

Sean Hughto
01-17-2010, 6:28 PM
It obviously works for a lot of people, so no doubt, even if there is anything to my thought, it's not much of an issue.

Gordon Seto
01-17-2010, 6:44 PM
I also have the Oneway diamond dresser and the Bill Grumbine version. I find the Bill Grumbine dresser is easier to set up and use. I can put away the Grumbine dresser before I can set up the Oneway normally. I also like the diamond dressing the wheel at a skew angle.
It is easy to detect if the platform is not straight. As to squareness, everything is relative, the sharpening is in reference to the platform anyway. We are only using the face of the grinding wheel. Even the face of the wheel is skewed, it is still true. That is what affecting in how steady the wheel runs.

Phil Powell
01-17-2010, 6:50 PM
I started turning and sharpening with the Wolverine dressing gear. Two
years ago I bought the Geiger Wheel Dresser. Long story short I put the
One Way dresser in our clubs annual fund raising auction. The Geiger is
very adjustable from a thousandth to what ever is needed, accurate and
real easy to use. It's a number one tool.

Don Geiger
01-18-2010, 5:05 PM
Dear Fellow Woodturners:

I've just read the threads that preceed this entry. Thanks for your positive reports on my dresser.

Just so everyone knows: The one Grumbine sells is based on our earliest design which is still available from us and many of the machinist's catalogs. He's not buying it from us and the knurled knobs look a little diffrerent so it may be the one that the Chinese make after they stole our design.

The one Grumbine sells and our original version is shorter and is designed only for use on platform rests that are 1" or 2" (measured front to back). If you want to use it on a Wolverine platform, you must cut a one inch slot in the platform so you can move it closer to the wheel. If you don't, the fulcrum point is at least 1" from the wheel which will cause it to vibrate and the diamond will be dragged downward.

The original Geiger Dresser (made by the original designer in the USA) has been and still is sold all over the world and works great in the right applications.

In 2006 I redeisigned the Geiger Dresser for woodturners that are using the 3" X 5" tool rest, as is provide with a Wolverine system. No modification of the tool rest is required. I am the only source for this product. It costs a little more than the one sold by Gruimbine, but it is machined from bar stock, weighs more (1.75 lb), has a close fulcrum point and like all of my products: MADE IN THE USA!

Please feel free to PM me for additional information.

Photos of the original (short) dresser and the 2006 (longer) dresser are below.

Please let me know if you need further input.

Thanks!

Don Geiger
352-472-5035