PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Sewing Machine info for Christmas

Michael Ballent
10-18-2004, 1:33 PM
LOML is looking to get a sewing machine for Christmas, so I have started to look for some info. Now I am looking to the board to see what your LOYL are using :confused:. I am looking for a nice machine that can do some decorative stitches and will last a long time and she can grow into it... So what are your wives using??? I do not think that embroidery is needed, but if it's included what the heck.

Also, I have tried to find on the WWW reviews on sewing machines, but have come up blank, along with online sources for the machines. All I know is that they do not list the prices, so I am afraid :eek:

Steve Jenkins
10-18-2004, 1:40 PM
I think I would quiz her a bit and see just what she wants. It wouldn't surprise me if she has a model all picked out. Just playing it safe. Steve

Michael Ballent
10-18-2004, 1:48 PM
I have tried that route and no help... :( and I thought picking out a WW machine was tough, some of these things are like CNC machines.

Dan Mages
10-18-2004, 2:29 PM
Does the other half know how to use computers?

Dan

Michael Ballent
10-18-2004, 4:17 PM
Does the other half know how to use computers?

Dan
She has no problems with computers...

Chuck Wintle
10-18-2004, 5:15 PM
Michael,
My sister who does a lot of quilting uses ELNA machines. She says they are well made and work well.

Michael Cody
10-18-2004, 5:48 PM
Bernina Machines are to sewing what Unisaw is to woodworking .... that said there are several good brands. My wife has a PFAFF mid-range machine that she does everything from lace curtains to jeans with including quilting. Paid like 700$ for it 3-4 years ago ...

Check around local sewing shops and maybe check out classes for her if she's interested... check out this link: Sewing Machine Info (http://quilting.about.com/od/sewingmachines/)

John Miliunas
10-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Another vote for Pfaff. LOML was given :D one, almost a buzillion years ago (that translated into 30+) and still loves it. I have offered to update it for her, but she wants no part of that! I did end up getting her a pretty high-end serger machine for her birthday this last summer. :cool:

Pat Monahan
10-19-2004, 2:19 AM
Michael
The LOML has a Janome. It's a couple years old, no problems, does more stitches than I want to think about (I think its around 30) and dinged us about $300 - thats about $240US. The thing sees lots of use as my better half makes craft stuff for craft shows, including quilts. She used my mother's old Singer briefly, but it suffered some major internal glitch - a broken gear, if memory serves, which would cost as much to fix as a comparable new machine. She then used her grandmother's old machine for quite some time without any problems. I think it was a Brother, more than 50 years old. LOML wasn't impressed with Singer at all, in her opinion. BTW, I seem to remember Singer recently filing for protection from creditors?? I could be completely wrong, but could be an issue with warranty.
Hope this helps
Pat

Dennis Peacock
10-19-2004, 8:58 AM
The LOML here has a PFaff Sewing machine (about $3400) and a Bernina serger (about $2000). Neither of which are the top end of either line. She really like working with both Pfaff and Bernina. The sewing machine came from her parents (thank goodness) and I got her the serger for a present.

Just my 2¢.

Michael Ballent
10-19-2004, 4:08 PM
Seems like Pfaff is the direction I should look at. Thanks for the responses, but if anyone else something else to add I would appreciate it... I am glad I was sitting down when I saw the prices for sewing machines, though *ouch*

Dennis Peacock
10-19-2004, 7:54 PM
Michael,

Remember that to a woman...a sewing machine and serger is like a tablesaw and jointer/planer to us fellers. It a tool to make something from regular flat stock to form, shape and attach together to make something that every person needs.....clothing. The better the sewing machine, the better she will like it, the more she will use it and the more she will enjoy sewing. Used to, the LOML would go through sewing machines like I used to go through ROS's. She got the Pfaff and Bernina and I got the Festool sanders. We have BOTH been very happy and satisfied with our tools from that day forward. :D

Ken Garlock
10-19-2004, 8:07 PM
Hi Michael. You might want to contact Byron Trantham, a frequent posters here. Byron just finished a beautiful sewing room for his wife, and by the looks of it, she is an accomplished seamstress. Byron can most likely tell you what his wife perfers in a machine.

Michael Ballent
10-20-2004, 1:12 AM
Michael,

Remember that to a woman...a sewing machine and serger is like a tablesaw and jointer/planer to us fellers. It a tool to make something from regular flat stock to form, shape and attach together to make something that every person needs.....clothing. The better the sewing machine, the better she will like it, the more she will use it and the more she will enjoy sewing. Used to, the LOML would go through sewing machines like I used to go through ROS's. She got the Pfaff and Bernina and I got the Festool sanders. We have BOTH been very happy and satisfied with our tools from that day forward. :D
I know it's like our tools, but at least you get a lot of cast iron for that cash :D

Arvin Brown
10-20-2004, 8:46 AM
I asked my wife about this one - she has a sewing business out of the house doing drapes, clothes, etc. along with teaching sewing classes. She said that all three machines mentioned (Elna, Pfaff, Bernina) are all top of the line. However, she sews with a Bernina. I would have to agree with her on this one - my opinion is that the Bernina is the best - just get ready to shell out some green backs!!!!!!

Dan Mages
10-20-2004, 9:15 AM
I would reccomend one of those nice machines with computer tech for basic embroidery. Just remember, the nicer the machine you buy her, the more receptive she will be to allowing you to buy nicer tools. Secondly, this sewing machine may be helpful for any future upolstered projects that you may do.

Dan

Phil Phelps
10-20-2004, 9:31 PM
My wife has a few. Husqvarna is her favorite. The Pfaff is a good machine. You better set a budget. You could spend 5k with no problem. I don't want to think what she's spent on the whole kabootle. I'm gettin' gray in the gills already. Good luck.

George Bledsoe
10-22-2004, 9:51 AM
The wife bought one of these:
http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/husqvarnaviking.htm
It is called the Rose and it does everything and then some I guess.
She sews and makes quilts. We have had it for at least 5 years or more and have had no troubles with it. She has a digitizer which is a cool feature for emb shirts towels etc it use the computer to scan and transfer the image to the machine which sew the image to whatever is in it.

I bought it for her but I don't remember the cost although I thought it was high, she has a serger too but I don't recall the brand.

Make sure she gets what she wants

Cause a Happy wife is a Happy life!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Steve Clardy
10-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Wife has the Brother machine, also the Brother serger. Absoutley no problems with them. :) The sew machine is about 20 some years old. Still like new.

Steve

larry merlau
10-25-2004, 11:00 AM
my wife has sewed for 40 years, she has had a singer viking/huskvarna,phaff/and janome. the viking and janome are the present one's in her shop. she does quilts and clothes both. you do need a no. to go for becasue they cost as much and more than saws :eek: if you havnt looked before you will be shocked but i also agree you need to get her opinion. and i am sure she has one you just need her to say it take her along and go to more than one brand and actually set down and have her use it herself. bobbins, tension control, the way it threads the needle, all are things that she needs to look at. and only her can pick it. your choice wont doo!!! unless your real lucky. there again compare it to a table saw do you want her to get you one or do you want pick it out? good luck my last adventure cost me 3800.00 but she is still smilin every time it starts up. when she is happy i am happy :D

larry merlau
10-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Another vote for Pfaff. LOML was given :D one, almost a buzillion years ago (that translated into 30+) and still loves it. I have offered to update it for her, but she wants no part of that! I did end up getting her a pretty high-end serger machine for her birthday this last summer. :cool:
hey john sounds like you were bartering or smooth talkin her into something newer to help over ride your next purchase :D she sounds like she is aware of your intentions to me :D

Michael Ballent
10-25-2004, 11:16 AM
This weekend we went on a test drive of sewing machines, she tried out Husqvarna Viking, Pfaff, and Bernina. I am pretty sure that she is going to go for a Bernina Quilter's Edition for a cool $2100. The ladies at the store said they were going to have a big sale on Nov 12 and Bernina offers 12 months interest free. Not as much fun as a new tool in the shop, but as has been mentioned before, gotta make the wife happy. :D If let y'all know how it goes.

Fred Chan
10-25-2004, 8:08 PM
LOML has a Pfaff. I bought it for her shortly after we got married 23 yrs ago and it still runs like new. Maybe because it hardly ever gets turned on.:rolleyes: I wish I'd known she didn't know how to sew before I bought it! I keep threatening to mount scrollsaw blades onto it.:)