PDA

View Full Version : Which sliding table?

Aaron Berk
01-17-2010, 12:21 AM
I've got my G0605X set up and now I'm looking for a good sliding table attachment. I saw woodworker.com is selling off their 62" Excalibur tables for 749.99

So I was wondering what tables do you guys recommend?

John M. Smith
01-17-2010, 8:03 AM
I have the Jess em and absolutely love it. Can not do a 4 * 8 but for 30 inch and under works very well.

Chris Rosenberger
01-17-2010, 9:22 AM
If you have the space & will be cutting a lot of sheet goods, the Excalibur is an excellent choice. I bought one in 1992 & I have cut thousands of parts on it. I have changed table saws 3 times, but I still have the same Excalibur sliding table.

Mike Shields
01-17-2010, 9:48 AM
Aaron,

If interested in the Jessem, I have one FS in excellent condition.
Also has a complete second fence.

Mike

frank shic
01-17-2010, 10:43 AM
check craigslist. i got my exaktor for around $500. the sliding action isn't as smooth as the delta/grizzly or the jessem but it crosscuts full sheets so you don't have to make a rough cut and then a trimming cut. btw make sure you have enough clearance around your table saw!

Philip Rodriquez
01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
I have an ICS SawStop with an excalibur sliding table. This is my second TS but I still love the sliding table.

Bill ThompsonNM
01-18-2010, 12:30 AM
I have an exaktor from about two years ago when amazon was having a big sale. I really like it. I've replaced the saw but not the table. If you don't need a big sliding table the refurbished deltas from cpodelta sure sound like a great deal.

Robert Chapman
01-18-2010, 7:32 AM
My JessEm sliding table is a really fine piece of woodworking equipment. On my Steel City saw I can rip stock up to 36" wide. The JessEm does not require any extra legs for support so if your saw is on a mobile base it is still mobile.

Mark Buchanan
01-18-2010, 7:37 AM
Excalibur here over 20 years and a few hundred thousand miles. Still works as good as new. I did have to change the glide strip about 10 years ago.

Aaron Berk
01-18-2010, 9:36 AM
Allot of good stuff, thanks folks
I'll have to re evaluate my normal max crosscut dimensions. I may be leaning towards a smaller scale sliding table.
Here's another question though..... If I decide that Jessem capacity is sufficient, would a cross cut sled be to cumbersome for a panel that size? I've been quoted some prices for a Jessem, and while it looks to be an OUTSTANDING device, I'm not sure I like the dollar amount versus the capacity.
And those of you with the large sliding tables, do you find them to handle smaller stock just as well?

Thanks and God Bless
Aaron

Philip Rodriquez
01-18-2010, 3:29 PM
my 49" Excalibur is, IMHO, way better than the Jessem. However, the Jessem does not have support legs. That is a huge benefit if you need your TS to be mobile.

Paul Johnstone
01-18-2010, 3:40 PM
Allot of good stuff, thanks folks
I'll have to re evaluate my normal max crosscut dimensions. I may be leaning towards a smaller scale sliding table.

If you have the space, I think an Ecalibar is probably a better sliding table. Have not used one, but it seems that way.

The Jessem is a great product. You sacrfice some capacity, but it's really nice not to eat up all the floor space.

Rob Sack
01-18-2010, 8:35 PM
I have had the Excaliber for years. It was a demo at a trade show. It is extremely accurate, more so than you would think. There is also the Exactor and I'm not sure of the difference, except that one of them has stainless steel rails, which I would think is an advantage. Although I was planning to buy a true sliding table saw, ala Felder, SCMI, etc., my next saw will probably be a Saw Stop with the Excaliber/Exactor sliding table.

Rick Potter
01-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Remember that Excalibur makes several sizes. If you are considering a smaller unit I think they still make a junior size that is about 16" wide. I used one for several years and it was great. I liked it better than the Jessem I now have. I have been thinking about putting it back on.

Rick Potter

Steve Griffin
01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Ten years on my Excalilbur, and I'm happy, but often wonder if the swing arm style would be better.

Couple of pointers with the Exacalibur:

-You might be able to remove the left wing of the table saw and mount it in a little closer. This may help accuracy too, as the fence has less of a lever arm between the track and the blade.
-Definitely set it up in fence forward (push) position. This aint no little miter gauge where you want to lift things over the fence.
-purchase right to left adhesive measuring tape and put it on top of the extension arm. calibrate it so it reads right at the fence. Now you can crosscut longer pieces without needing your tape measure.

-Steve
-