PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone who is fencing a fence

Nick Mastropietro
01-16-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a Craftsman Rabbet Plane that was left to me by a friend and the fence is missing, just wondering if anyone out there has a fence and no plane. I wonder if a fence from a Stanley would fit. Sure would like to have all the functionality of the plane.

Eric Brown
01-17-2010, 4:27 AM
I just checked as I have both the Stanley and Craftsman. While the fence from a Stanley will work, the rod will not. It has a different thread. (The Stanley has a finer thread). My suggestions: either sell it and get a better one that also has a blade adjuster (like a Stanley 78). Better yet is the Record 778 with a screw adjuster for the blade and a double rod for the fence that eliminates the fence flexing. Even better would be one of the new one's from LV with a skewed blade and excellent fence. You might also consider using your Craftsman like a scrub plane by putting a large chamfer on the blade.

Eric

Leon Jester
01-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a Craftsman Rabbet Plane that was left to me by a friend and the fence is missing, just wondering if anyone out there has a fence and no plane. I wonder if a fence from a Stanley would fit. Sure would like to have all the functionality of the plane.

I have one of them, IIRC it was made for Sears by Sargent. ISTR that I picked it up from a seller on E-bay, years ago.

Hope that's somewhat useful info.

EDIT: If you can determine the thread, a length of drill rod that's appropriately threaded and the correct diameter will do the job. -- lwj

Jim Koepke
01-17-2010, 1:32 PM
Stanley parts tend to have thread pitches that no one else used.

Your Craftsman may use standard threads.

This is where a thread gauge comes in handy.

Your best bet may be to search ebay and then save the search so new listings are sent to you once a day.

jim

Bill Houghton
01-17-2010, 3:52 PM
Stanley parts tend to have thread pitches that no one else used.

Your Craftsman may use standard threads.

This is where a thread gauge comes in handy.

Actually, this is one case where Stanley settled on a thread pitch that is now common - 1/4"-28 (National Fine). Sargent used what is now "National Special," 1/4"-24, also used on old Harleys and some railroad equipment, according to a local Harley mechanic. You can get the taps and dies, but they'd be kind of pricey for one time use.

The rod, by the way, is 9/32", necking down to 1/4" for the threaded hole, thus creating a shoulder on the threaded portion of the rod. I dug around some before I found that the simplest solution for 9/32" rod is the fence rods from a Porter-Cable 100/690 router, about $5 (plus shipping of course) from some of the online parts sources.

I believe, from the Sargent on which I'm hoping to finish a fence rod some time, that the Stanley fence will fit.

Jim Koepke
01-17-2010, 4:09 PM
Actually, this is one case where Stanley settled on a thread pitch that is now common - 1/4"-28 (National Fine).

You would not use the word common in this sentence if you have searched high and low as I have for something with this thread.

I have the taps and would be interested in dies with this pitch if I could find them.

If you find one and want to use it and sell it for a little less than new, let me know before you buy it and we can maybe work a deal.

I do prefer the "Little Giant" dies as that is the set up I have and the dies are adjustable to accommodate variances in rod and tap sizes.

jim