PDA

View Full Version : Bedan Tools

Michael O'Sullivan
01-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Is there a difference between Bedan Tools and mortice chisels? I have some Two Cherries mortice chisels (very substantial) that do very little work for their originally intended purpose. Can they be, uhh, reprogrammed?

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2010, 11:21 PM
I would have to see a picture of your chisel but my bedan's are pretty hefty. I probably wouldn't use them myself if they are what I think. I think the tang on those are a accident waiting to happen. If you had a catch with one and with bedans can happen real quick it could snap that thing big time.

Dan Forman
01-17-2010, 3:57 AM
I agree that the tang would be the weak link.

Dan

Jeff Nicol
01-17-2010, 5:23 AM
The Bedan tool has wider top to bottom taper, if you look at it from the end the sides will not be paralell. This aids in using it as a big parting tool.

Jeff

Gordon Seto
01-17-2010, 7:25 AM
The Bedan tool has wider top to bottom taper, if you look at it from the end the sides will not be paralell. This aids in using it as a big parting tool.

Jeff
That is the English bedan. The French bedan has square or rectangular cross section.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDPE8i4LiQ
He uses the tool bevel side up. With an English bedan, the top edge would be more likely to dig in the tool rest.