PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 Jaw lathe chucks

Steve Clardy
10-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Looking for recommendations on a 3 or 4 jaw chuck for my secondary lathe. I don't want to go HIGH DOLLAR as it won't get used much. Something that will have about a 4" opening. 3/4x 16" threads.
Steve:)

Bob Smalser
10-18-2004, 4:41 PM
Type "chuck morse" into Ebay's search feature to work both titles and descriptions for all categories and you'll likely find several good ones.

I been picking up a number of morse taper goodies there recently. For threaded bases, just do some browsing.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-19-2004, 2:05 AM
Evenin' Steve:

I use the Talon, four jaw. It's not too expensive and has multiple teeth on the inside of the jaws. Better holding power that the ones with only one edge to dig in. It holds anything I can fit onto my Jet Mini.

Just MHO, but I'm very happy with it.

Bruce

Jim Becker
10-19-2004, 9:22 AM
The basic OneWay and the NOVA midi should fit your needs as long as you can deal with the tommy-bars. (Personally, I find them annoying since I don't have three hands) But do consider investing in something like the Talon that Bruce recommends. It gives you a lot of options, is of high quality and is adaptable to multiple lathes. Plus, it uses a key to operate the chuck with one hand while you hold the workpiece with the other. Do remember that any of these chucks will require optional jaws to get you to 4"...the standard jaws are smaller in max size.

Steve Clardy
10-23-2004, 8:11 PM
4-jaw 6 1/2" chuck. I know, not a real good one, but I don't do much bowl work and such, just mainly staircase balisters. This ought to do the job for now. Did the Ebay thing, found one, bid, didn't get it. Found another, forgot about it.:rolleyes: Ordered from Sears, $69.00.
Anyhow, gotta get the cosmoline off of it and try er out when time.;)
Steve:)

Dale Thompson
10-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Steve,
A 4" opening in an inexpensive lathe chuck is a lot to ask. Whatever, I know one thing for sure. Don't get the Nova Compac even if it's free. Even with the "crow bars" cranked to the "max", they won't hold a "butterfly in a breeze". This is NOT a "flame". Nova knows there is a problem and the Compac is, "no longer in production". After waiting six months and taking one try at an eventual "scoop", I returned the chuck to Woodcraft and my account was credited, "with NO questions asked". I very much like my SuperNova and would buy from them again. Everyone makes mistakes - everyone, of course, except for moi!! :rolleyes: Is there a "smilie" for a belly laugh?? :eek:

Dale T.