PDA

View Full Version : Segmented bowl. How did she do that?

Willard Foster
01-16-2010, 9:04 PM
I am starting to get interested in segmented wood turning. By looking at books I have been able to figure out how design features (on the finished turning) are created as a result of glued up pieces.

One feature still has me baffled. In Ron Hampton's book, Segmented Turning there are two bowls by Linda Salter (page 133). Near the top of each bowl, one ring has narrow V-shaped pieces.

Does anyone know how she was able to get those V's?

Thanks,

Bill

Dennis Puskar
01-17-2010, 12:27 AM
A pic would help also try Malcolm tibbetts book on segmented turning.

Dennis

Willard Foster
01-17-2010, 2:59 PM
I found a picture at the following link. It's on the furst page of the newsletter.

http://www.bayareawoodturners.org/newsletters/Newsletter_10_03.pdf

I have the Tibbetts book but I haven't found the secret (yet).

Ryan Baker
01-18-2010, 9:42 PM
Those Vs are just segments, like all the others. Those don't even look that small as detail ring segments go. The segments are angle cut so that from the side they form the desired V shape. Malcolm's book and videos demonstrate it

Richard Madison
01-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Some of the areas appear to be straight cut laminations that are then miter cut into segments. Can't tell for sure. If so the pattern will not look the same on the inside, which we cannot see in the picture.

Steve Busey
01-19-2010, 6:47 AM
You can see more detail on some of her work here (http://www.channelislandswoodturners.org/Salter2006.htm).

Robert McGowen
01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I am not sure about some of the answers that you have received so far, but I build the segments one at a time. You obviously use a jig and cut all the pieces for each segment at the same time, so that they all match. It is just a couple of simple miter cuts for each segment. Here is a better view of the top of a vase I made a while back. You should be able to piece together how it is done from the photo. The walnut is in the middle of each segment and there are 12 segments in the ring, which consists of 36 individual pieces of wood.

Richard Madison
01-19-2010, 6:17 PM
Makes a difference where the segment/ring will be located in the vessel. If I'm seeing it correctly (always questionable) the walnut V's in Robert's ring would be visible in a top view of the ring, but not be visible from the edge view of the original, unturned ring. After turning, the walnut becomes visible from the side also. If this ring were used in a nearly vertical portion of the vessel, the walnut would never become visible. However since it is used in more nearly horizontal portion of the vessel, it works very well as intended. It's maybe a little more complicated than that, but that's enough words. Sure hope some of that made sense.

Nice piece BTW. Can we see a side view please?

Roy Antaki
01-19-2010, 6:22 PM
Kevin's Woodturning explains how to do it on his website:
http://turnedwood.com/techniques.html#TriangleInserts

Robert McGowen
01-19-2010, 7:34 PM
Richard, You are correct that it depends on the orientation. To present the triangles in a vertical orientation, I would just stand the segments on end to cut the end angle. Think stave construction with the stave only being an inch or so tall.

Roy, I have seen Kevin's website, which is very informative. I make the segments the way that I do as you only have to align 2 flat sides at a time to make the segments. With Kevin's technique, you have to align 3 sides at once, which I think would allow for more error. His technique, as shown, would also make horizontal triangles, as Richard correctly pointed out.

Willard Foster
01-19-2010, 9:52 PM
I would like to thank everyone for yur help. I went to Kevin's site and it became clear.

Maybe it's just me, but for sharing information, I think the segmented folks are the most helpful. I have learned more in the last few weeks about segmentation than I thought possible.

Thanks again.

Bill