PDA

View Full Version : Salt & Pepper Shaker More Treen!

Mike Minto
01-16-2010, 6:22 PM
Today I turned a salt & pepper shaker set from Maple (gabon ebony distinctive) using my Beall Treen system. Not too artsy, but it's my first. Will finish with shellac. Anyway, here's a couple more treen, too - the first maple one I made, along with 2 magohany pieces, stained with (clearance :D) dark walnut danish oil.

John Keeton
01-16-2010, 7:30 PM
Nice work, Mike. I like the color on the mahogany with that Watco!

Richard Madison
01-16-2010, 8:28 PM
So Mike you are only a treen-ager? Thought you were older.

Ted Calver
01-16-2010, 9:18 PM
Nice ones Mike. The maple set is very stylish.

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2010, 9:40 PM
Nice work Mike. I do like th maple.

Jamie Straw
01-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Really nice turnings, Mike. Newbie question: For the salt and pepper shakers, do you line the cavity somehow?

Mike Minto
01-17-2010, 7:14 AM
Really nice turnings, Mike. Newbie question: For the salt and pepper shakers, do you line the cavity somehow?

Jamie, I'm new to this kind of turning, too - thought I'd just coat this set, inside and out, with shellac. It's edible when dry, and should not have a problem with wear after a couple of coats.

Jamie Straw
01-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Jamie, I'm new to this kind of turning, too - thought I'd just coat this set, inside and out, with shellac. It's edible when dry, and should not have a problem with wear after a couple of coats.

Shellac would be my choice, too. A pretty healthy cut, dontcha think? Perhaps one wash-coat, then 2# x 2?? I have a peppermill kit, but the wood I bought for it has to dry before using it.