PDA

View Full Version : Wow - I'm a believer in a wheel dresser now!

Gordon Thompson
01-16-2010, 6:16 PM
Woodcraft was having a sale today, and if you got there in the first hour you got a bonus - 25% off of one item...I decided what the heck, and got the wolvering wheel dressing attachment. Previously I had been using a hand held diamond dresser.

I guess I never realized how much my tools were bouncing around on the wheel. I also noticed I can use alot less pressure in touching the tools to the wheel.

You guys have always used the term 'scary sharp'...i never understood it till now :eek:

I'm a believer in wheel dressing now!

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2010, 7:51 PM
Gordon - is this what you picked up? http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001998/2272/Wolverine-Dressing-Attachment.aspx

Was wondering if it worked better than a hand held - which is what I have.

Gordon Thompson
01-16-2010, 7:55 PM
yes, that is what I got. for me at least, it works ALOT better than the hand held ones.

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2010, 7:57 PM
I use the Oneway balance system on both of the grinding wheels and I still get bounce when sharpening. Always figured it was because of the hand held diamond sharpener and not being able to apply constant pressure with it. Will have to check into this.... Thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2010, 8:01 PM
I use the Wolverine dresser.

The one advantage....if used properly it will always make the face of the wheel perpendicular to the slide...the device that holds the Wolverine jigs....

Splitting hairs I'm sure but it should make it easier to get even grind on both sides of a tool.

Single point dressing is slower, however.

Dave Halter
01-16-2010, 8:07 PM
Steve,
I bought the Oneway dressing attachment last year and noticed a big difference. I used a handheld dresser prior to that and still had some tool bounce. The Oneway eliminated that for me.

Dave

Sean Hughto
01-16-2010, 8:12 PM
I like my Wolverine too. It take a few more minutes to set up, bu the results are excellent.

Richard Madison
01-16-2010, 8:19 PM
The diamond "T" dresser can be used to true up an out of round wheel (the cause of bounce when sharpening). Matter of technique. Firm pressure against the tool rest and very, very light pressure against the wheel. It's just like truing up a slightly out of round turning with very light cuts and firm pressure against the tool rest. Once round, dress frequently (when you see the wheel loading up) and it will stay round.

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the info Gordon. I have been thinking about getting one. Wasn't sure but sounds like it is a bet now.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-16-2010, 11:07 PM
The diamond "T" dresser can be used to true up an out of round wheel (the cause of bounce when sharpening). Matter of technique. Firm pressure against the tool rest and very, very light pressure against the wheel. It's just like truing up a slightly out of round turning with very light cuts and firm pressure against the tool rest. Once round, dress frequently (when you see the wheel loading up) and it will stay round.

Richard, I noticed that your technique works for me too. Light pressure as you mention is the trick!

Ron Erickson
01-17-2010, 8:53 AM
Richard, I noticed that your technique works for me too. Light pressure as you mention is the trick!
This works for me too. Ron

Gordon Seto
01-17-2010, 9:27 AM
The Don Geiger or Bill Grumbine diamond dresser has better design, easier to use. It will be used more often instead of sitting in the drawer.

The technique of anchoring to the tool rest that Richard described is the same principle as the dresser gadgets.

willie sobat
01-17-2010, 10:02 AM
I also have the Wolverine dresser. I upgraded to it from a hand-held and am glad I did.

Richard Madison
01-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Alan & Ron, Thanks for your support.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-17-2010, 1:47 PM
If you can keep up with the vibration of 1725 or 3450 cycles per minute, as the grinder shakes/vibrates that quickly, going up down and back and forth, than held onto the rest will work just fine.
However a solidly held, and disconnected from the grinder dresser, will do at least as well, as it will not shake/vibrate with/by the grinder, but even there is the problem from a grinder that's not sitting still and the wheel of course doing the same dance while you hold a dresser against it.
I don't think there's a readily available perfect solution to this problem, but keeping the wheel clean for a better cutting action is a good thing all by itself ;) :D.

Don Geiger
01-18-2010, 5:30 PM
Hi Fellow turners:

I saw mention of my Geiger's Wheel Truing and Dressing Solution in this discussion. You can view information on it at my website - please PM for address.

My Wheel Truing and Dressing Solution is designed to be used directly on the 3" X 5" platform tool rest, as is provided with the Wolverine system without modification. It has a great deal of mass (1.75 lbs), a very close fulcrum point to the wheel and does not vibrate when the 1/2 ct. diamond is in contact with the wheel. The diamond is presented at an agle to the face of the wheel so only the left side contacts the wheel. The diamond is mounted to a threaded stud which is rotated to advance the diamond in micro increments toward the wheel. This eventually creates a cone shape to the diamond which contributes to it's very long life. I've sold this system and an earlier model for several years and have only replaced two diamonds to date. Both were due to misuse, but I replaced them under warranty.

Below is a photo of my system resting on a Wolverine platform. Note the close proximity of the fulcrum point. As woodturner's, I think you'll recognize the need for this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Don Geiger
352-472-5035