PDA

View Full Version : My Review of Bob Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing"

Mike Shields
01-16-2010, 4:29 PM
From a new woodworkers perspective:

This book hit the nail on the head. From the moment I got the book, I read several points about finishing that I've always wondered about.

Examples:

- why some oils cure, and others don't
- difference between a seal coat and a finish coat
- detailed explanations of filling pores
- common problems and comparisons in every chapter

- and on and on

I should have bought this book years ago.

Highly recommended to anyone who is starting WW or fighting with finishing (like me).

Mike

Chris Ricker
01-16-2010, 10:24 PM
this book is a bible in my shop.
His best advice to me is "when you are clean, get out of the bathwater" in reference to sanding, I used to sand up through 400 grit till I read and applied his logic. It saved countless hours on projects.

John Schreiber
01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I agree. I'd read a lot of instructions about how to finish, but with his book I really had some understanding of what was going on.

Tony De Masi
01-17-2010, 8:05 AM
My neighbor gave me this book a couple of months ago. It's the only book I have that stays on the work bench all the time. I'm either using it as a current reference or just reading more about the techniques involved. Love it.

Tony

Michael Flores
01-17-2010, 8:28 AM
This is the only book used as the text book for the wood finishing class at Cerritos college in southern California. It must be good since it is required for a class that has a professor that has 35 years experience as a professional finisher & restorer of greene and greene homes.

Ken Shoemaker
01-17-2010, 9:25 AM
+1 The only book I own.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-17-2010, 9:57 AM
when I read through his book I wondered (except for different stain colors) if I cleared out my finish room down to what was necessary or needed how much I would have left.

Keith Gwin
01-17-2010, 10:00 AM
I am wanting to buy a book that covers a lot of different aspects of finishing. I read several reviews on amazon about this book and for the most part everyone loves it. A few folks blasted if for not covering much other than using lacquer. Someone also said that their are different versions out there, one not having but a few color pictures and being low quality. I would like to buy the book if someone could answer this for me.

Thanks