PDA

View Full Version : HVAC help needed

Zach England
01-16-2010, 3:27 PM
I know there are people here who know HVAC stuff, so please advise if you can. I have a gas furnace that has three cones(?) and ignites by a small element that glows shortly after thermostat kicks it on. The thermostat triggers it and the motor moves, but the element does not glow. After powering it down and back up a few times I was able to get the element to go on once and when it did the furnace ignited and everything was fine, but next power cycle the same thing happened and I cannot get the rihg to heat again. I figure there is a simple part I can clean or replace, but I don't want to get in there without knowing if I can do it myself or not. I checked all the apparent wires and the wire nuts and connections are tight. I blew it out with compressed air and this did not help. I do have a DMM so I can do some basic troubleshooting, but am not sure where to start and I want to know if I need to make a service call in the next hour or so. Thanks.

Zach England
01-16-2010, 3:32 PM
I should add that I can hear the piezo-like "click" that it normally makes when the ring ignites.

Bill Cunningham
01-16-2010, 9:41 PM
Sounds like the element or igniter, is burned out, or the relay that supplies the power to the igniter has a bad contact.. You can usually reach the connection on the ignitor with a volt meter.. That's what I would check first.. If the power is there then the igniter is bad, second would be to follow the wire to the relay, and check the voltage on both sides... Anything further, I would recommend the service call, and I'm sure your insurance man would agree :eek:

Zach England
01-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for replying. That is exactly what it was. I decided not to screw with it and just called a guy, who fortunately had the part in stock.