PDA

View Full Version : A New Home for the Delta!

John Keeton
01-16-2010, 2:56 PM
With the flurry of new Delta's and Brian's thread on "who isn't building a cabinet" for their Delta, I thought I would post pics of my stand.

The Delta won't be shipped until next week!:( But, it gave me a chance to post a thread getting ideas for a stand. Lot of folks had some really good thoughts, and I ended up with just a very basic 2x4 construction that is sufficiently large for the lathe and bed extension. The top is just 2x4s, supported in the middle by a cross brace underneath. I will mount the lathe with rubber grommets between the lathe and top to absorb any noise and to account for any uneveness in the top.

I had considered making it larger, but the suggestion to have access from the tailstock end, and perhaps not mount the grinder on the stand were persuasive.
I will put a piece of plywood on the shelf area, but ultimately, I hope to build a drawer unit to fit this area.

The lathe will be situated where my drop down assembly table is normally. With the table up, the window is covered;), but I needed mobility when I finally get back to a flatwork project. I know, now that I am in the vortex, I may never need an assembly table again!!:D

So, I mounted casters on one end. Had to cut off the flange and redrill a hole to get them to be flush on the floor.
I could have just lifted the other end to roll it. One post had a handle installed on the other end for that purpose. But, I liked the idea of a drop down caster, so this is what I did.
The "latch" is a piece of oak that has some "spring" built into it. I lift up on the end of the stand, and pull the knob to permit the caster "leg" to drop down. Then release the knob to permit the "stop block" to engage and keep the caster leg extended.
When I want to drop the stand back down on the legs, I just lift up, pull the knob to withdraw the stop block, and let down the stand.
Now, all I need is that Delta!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2010, 3:13 PM
Nicely done John. Looks extremely functional and strong. Later with maybe a rack built on the bottom shelf area, you can have a handy place to store your tools.

Brian Effinger
01-16-2010, 3:18 PM
The lathe will be situated where my drop down assembly table is normally. With the table up, the window is covered;), but I needed mobility when I finally get back to a flatwork project. I know, now that I am in the vortex, I may never need an assembly table again!!:D

There's always segmented work. :D

Nice table. That looks good and strong, and I really like the casters and your lift mechanism. Did you end up putting 4 screws in the casters, or only the two shown?

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2010, 3:22 PM
Well that sure didn't take very long! Nice design that should hold up to some heavy use! I like the idea of your drop down table! Great area to store turnings while the finish dries!

Hope your lathe arrives sooner than expected!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-16-2010, 3:25 PM
Looking good John, should work, a piece of sheeting (plywood osb etc) screwed to the back of the top and lower brace, fitting between the legs, would stiffen the bench considerably and keep it from racking.
Together with Ken's suggestion of the rack would keep stuff from falling out the back, just an idea ;-))

willie sobat
01-16-2010, 3:27 PM
Nice job John. I know you are probably going crazy waiting on the lathe. At least the wait gave you a chance to build a really nice stand.

gary Zimmel
01-16-2010, 3:45 PM
Looks like the Delta has a new home waiting for it.
Quick, clean and simple.
Now your ready to do a little tuning again.
Oh wait!
How many more sleeps before the Fed Ex truck arrives?

Ron Lynch
01-16-2010, 4:34 PM
John, I'd leave the rubber grommets on the shelf and just bolt the lathe to your bench top. The rubber will just amplify any motion caused by vibration. When I set up my grinding station I tried to leave the rubber feet on the grinder and that puppy bounced all over the place, removed the rubber and it's nice and solid.

Mark Hubl
01-16-2010, 5:42 PM
Good job John. Looks great. Really like the drop down caster.

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2010, 5:42 PM
John that is a good looking bench and a nice home for the new lathe. You might as well put that assembly bench down and use it for blanks and turning stuff.:D;):rolleyes::cool: That bench should serve you well.

Brian Brown
01-16-2010, 6:01 PM
Very nice John. I like the handy wall cabinet behind, but I really like the drop down caster. Simple and effective. Consider the idea stolen.

John Keeton
01-16-2010, 6:56 PM
Brian, that isn't a wall cabinet. It is a drop down table.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123787&thumb=1&d=1248656602 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123787&d=1248656602)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123788&thumb=1&d=1248656631 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123788&d=1248656631)

But, if these guys are right about this turning illness, might as well take down the table and cover up that window with a cabinet for lathe tools!!!:D

Dick Mahany
01-16-2010, 7:12 PM
John,

Very nice table and I really like the clever idea for the retractable caster. Looks like it will be very solid and yet offer maneuverability without compromising stability. Looking forward to pics of the new lathe mounted to it.

art san jr
01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
I like your folding table, John. Think I'll adopt the idea...my shop is in my Florida room, an enclosed patio really, so I'll utilize the table to do my stuff and put it to bed when done. Great system.Thanks.

I had to do as Leo suggested when I made a lumber rack. I got awesome stability when I screwed on a 4'x2' bit of 1/2" ply at the back. After that I could really load up
the rack.

Your lathe bench is cool, I like the way you did the casters. That too will be adopted.

I trust you'll have the lathe shortly......all that beautiful lumber just waiting.

Thanks for sharing.

Art.

Brian Brown
01-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Brian, that isn't a wall cabinet. It is a drop down table.
D

And I just thought you were planning on getting a lot of lathe tools! :o

Sean Ackerman NY
01-17-2010, 11:23 AM
John, looks awesome, looks clean, looks efficient, looks killer!

Glad she'll have such a fine home :)

Sid Matheny
01-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Good looking stand John. I like the drop down caster better than my handle I have on mine. Hope the Delta comes soon. I hate waiting!!!

Sid

Jeff Hanson
01-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi John, Nice looking bench - I ordered the Delta 46-460 (W/ext) from ToolNuts and learned a couple of days ago it is now out of stock at the manufacturer - so it will be a few weeks before I see it. In the mean time, I would like to build a bench for it and was hoping to find out what dimensions you used for your bench.

Many thanks!

Jeff

Allen Neighbors
01-30-2010, 12:38 PM
John, you're so efficient you're shaming the rest of us!! Really nice job, and good engineering on the drop down caster.
I got lazy. Finally ended up buying that little lift table from Northern Tool. :)

charlie knighton
01-30-2010, 2:59 PM
the anticipation

John Keeton
01-30-2010, 4:45 PM
Ooooops!! Sorry that I didn't see the inquiry from Jeff!!

My bench is 17" wide, plus the 1.5" on each side for the legs - so, 20" total. It is 63" long, 28.75" high. The shelf frame is 8.5" to the top of the 2x4, plus whatever shelf material applied - 1/2" OSB in my case as that is what I had in the barn. So, the space between the shelf and the underside of the top frame is about 16.5". My intent is to build a box of 4 drawers to fit in that space.

The lathe is mounted 7" on center from the outside edge of the legs, and flush with the RH end with .75" rubber grommets. The lathe is dead quiet. However, this placement makes the stand a little front weighted, but I think with the drawer unit, and junk in the drawers, this will offset that. I don't notice it until I try to move the lathe on the rollers. It doesn't affect using the lathe, and may help as the force of turning is toward the rear.

Hope this is what you need. I am happy with the dimensions, but keep in mind that I am 5' 7", so you may want to adjust the height. I figure raising the stand 1" for each 2" of additional height should be about right.

Bob Bergstrom
01-30-2010, 6:48 PM
Nice job. Make sure you leave room in the shop for the day the vortex sucks you into a bigger and more powerful lathe. You have all the markings of a mayonnaise or mustard kind of guy!!:D

Jeff Hanson
01-30-2010, 8:14 PM
John, Thanks very much for the bench dimensions! Keep up the great work with your turning - your creating some awesome bowls!!

Thanks!
Jeff

alex carey
01-30-2010, 10:01 PM
love the design, cool mobility feature. Looks like its pretty dang sturdy as well.

Donny Lawson
01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Here's an idea.,On the 2x4's on the bottom add some plywood to the bottom side and fill it with sand then put plywood on the topside also for the shelf. The sand will add great weight for vibration prevention.
Donny

John Keeton
01-31-2010, 6:28 AM
Donny, that was actually my first plan, and I left it open for awhile while using the lathe to get a feel for the need for ballast. With this lathe, and with the setup I have, I think the box of drawers will add any needed weight. It is really very stable as is. Were I not intending on doing the drawer unit, I might consider that - good point!

John Keeton
02-06-2010, 8:56 PM
Thought I would update this thread for a modification. The neat little drop down roller worked - but, after more weight was on the stand, it didn't want to do as well. In addition, I had centered it, and the lathe is mounted toward the front of the stand making it a little top heavy when raised up on the one roller.

Noticed Harbor Freight had their 1000 lb. trailer jack on sale for $20 -
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif
So, I got one and mounted it in place of the drop down caster, but offset it to the side with the lathe. Works like a charm!! Quick install with 4 bolts.

Just thought I would pass it on.

Brian Effinger
02-06-2010, 9:52 PM
Noticed Harbor Freight had their 1000 lb. trailer jack on sale for $20 -
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif
So, I got one and mounted it in place of the drop down caster, but offset it to the side with the lathe. Works like a charm!! Quick install with 4 bolts.

Just thought I would pass it on.

That's a great idea John. Really quite ingenious. :)