PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a Sawstop?

Anthony Whitesell
01-16-2010, 1:56 PM
Cliff Holmes' thread got me reconsidering getting a new table saw (Cliff, I'm sorry to hear about your friend). So I'm now seriously considering a getting a SawStop. Not that I can really afford to, but if I end up injured, the loss of functionality will cost me a lot more than the saw. Simple question: What retailers are selling the SawStop saw? I prefer local, but I also need the most cost effective (price + shipping).

Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2010, 2:00 PM
Anthony,

Go to SawStop's website. IIRC they have a listing for dealers in your area. I could be wrong but I believe they dictate the price at which a dealer can sell their products. Therefore, it's a matter of finding a couple of dealers and seeing if one of them will deliver to your house for free and help you set it up ...etc.

Paul Ryan
01-16-2010, 2:03 PM
Anthony the only differences I have heard in price are some change shipping and some dont. From what I have understood from some sells is they get a break on shipping if they order enough machines, so they past that savings on to the customer. If you find a dealer that wants to charge you shipping, you may find another that wont. Other than that sales tax is the only other variable.

Jim Watts
01-16-2010, 2:04 PM
http://www.sawstop.com/locator/

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-16-2010, 2:19 PM
Anthony the only differences I have heard in price are some change shipping and some dont. From what I have understood from some sells is they get a break on shipping if they order enough machines, so they past that savings on to the customer. If you find a dealer that wants to charge you shipping, you may find another that wont. Other than that sales tax is the only other variable.

+1

Many machinery dealers sell them, and Woodcraft does too. You should call around to see what the deal is on shipping costs - I had place near me (15 mins) that was going to have to order the saw, and hit me with a $300 shipping fee (apparently they did not typically order enough to get better shipping prices), but another place further away not only had them in stock but didn't add any fees. Really is dependent on the dealer. You should also consider the type of service you might get.

I see you are from NH...I have read here on SMC of at least one person that drove from MA to NH to save on the sales tax.

John O'Brien
01-16-2010, 3:12 PM
How about at woodworking shows? There is one coming up in NJ and I think I have seen Sawstop there in the past.

Are "show specials" a real deal?

Cliff Holmes
01-16-2010, 4:02 PM
As others have noted, Sawstop is like Festool, all dealers sell everything for exactly the same price. And my local dealer tells me that the break point is three saws at once for them to get free shipping, which they pass on to the customers.

However, if you have a relationship with your local dealer, you might be able to work out some special package pricing. I've done this several times, where I paid full price for Item X and got Y and Z at steep discounts (like 50-75%).

It never hurts to ask, especially on a big-ticket item.

Jeremy Gibson
01-16-2010, 9:41 PM
I used the dealer lookup function from the SS website and it shows Woodcraft and another store in the Denver area. Today I was in the Woodcraft in Colorado Springs and they had the contractor saw on the floor and flyers for all three types. I only post this to say the dealer lookup from SS may not list all the dealers and you may want to contact yours by phone or in person to verify.

I showed my wife the pictures of the hot dog test and some finger pics with just a nick. She said if I ever get one NOT to intentionally test the brake with my finger. She did NOT say "never get one." :D Of course, I didn't show her the $3,000 price on the PCS.

Cliff Holmes
01-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I was just reading through my Sawstop manual. It says that if the brake fires and SS determines that skin contact caused it, they'll replace the cartridge free. Not sayin' it's a good idea, just sayin' ... ;)

Don Bullock
01-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Anthony, congratulations on going with a SawStop. Like others have said, SS prices are "fixed." I was able to get some "extras" thrown in when I bought mine. I'm sure more dealers are doing that now. Shop around and see what they say.

Jim Mackell
01-17-2010, 4:13 PM
What retailers are selling the SawStop saw? I prefer local, but I also need the most cost effective (price + shipping).

Thanks.

Check out Woodcraft in Portsmouth near the Foxrun Mall. Right next to Walmart. They have a nice display of them. The drool marks on the floor are mine.

Bob Falk
01-18-2010, 4:08 PM
I just bought a 4 year old single phase 3hp ICS (over $4000 new + shipping) that looked brand new for $2200.....quite a savings over the PCS ($2900 new + shipping). I placed an add on Craigslist in larger cities around me (ended up driving 2 hrs to Chicago to pick up)....works great and I'm lovin it. bob

Cliff Holmes
01-18-2010, 4:17 PM
I just bought a 4 year old single phase 3hp ICS (over $4000 new + shipping) that looked brand new for $2200

I can't bring myself to give the typical YS, but you definitely did not make my day.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-18-2010, 5:27 PM
I just bought a 4 year old single phase 3hp ICS (over $4000 new + shipping) that looked brand new for $2200.....quite a savings over the PCS ($2900 new + shipping). I placed an add on Craigslist in larger cities around me (ended up driving 2 hrs to Chicago to pick up)....works great and I'm lovin it. bob

Bob - that's a nice saw, and a nice pickup!

Cliff..... I woulnd't second-guess yourself. There seem to be some nice deals on used ICS models....but they're not too common. Also, you also get a warranty on yours.