PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own a Delta dc 380 planer

Kieran Kammerer
01-16-2010, 1:51 PM
Wondering if anyone has this planer and if so, do they think it is worth getting for 500 and installing a Byrd head. Thanks. Kieran

Jim Dailey
01-16-2010, 4:04 PM
Nice planer, I used to own one, sold it & bought a Woodmaster.

My only complaint was that with the motor being on top made the blades difficult to change, and it made passing board harder than a planer with a motor in the base. The Byrd head might make cutter changes easier. If you could get it for $500 that would be a great price, and if you would decide to sell or upgrade in the future you really couldn't get hurt at that price.

jim

Kieran Kammerer
01-16-2010, 5:46 PM
Thanks Jim

Robert Maloney
01-16-2010, 9:37 PM
I paid $450 for mine a couple months ago. I ended up replacing the bearings in it. Wasn't a bad job, but probably should have put a Byrd head in it then, seeing as I had the head out to replace the bearings. Now its nice and quiet and is a nice planer. Knives actually aren't that bad to replace because the motor tilts foward to give you access to the knives

Salem Ganzhorn
01-16-2010, 9:48 PM
I paid $450 for mine a couple months ago. I ended up replacing the bearings in it. Wasn't a bad job, but probably should have put a Byrd head in it then, seeing as I had the head out to replace the bearings. Now its nice and quiet and is a nice planer. Knives actually aren't that bad to replace because the motor tilts foward to give you access to the knives

Robert, out of curiosity how did you know you needed to replace the bearings?

My DC380 clone has started making an odd noise. It sounds a little like the anti-kickback paws rattling but I don't know why I would just now be hearing this...

Thanks!
Salem