PDA

View Full Version : Pen Prices at craft fairs?

Dave Dionne
10-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Well my son had decided to rent a table at a small craft fair in a few weeks and want to try making and sellign some pens. He started turning in school a few years ago and makes some nice pens. He has never tried to sell any and he was asking me what he should charge at a craft fair. I am clueless, most penes will be european or flat top, from Woodcraft. Using Bubinga, Bocote, canary, zebra and a few others ( he is using my wood)

Any suggestions on getting him started on the right foot with his pricing? Any other things he should be making that are proven good sellers?

Thanks for your advice Dave

Rod Torgeson
10-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Dave.....I have sold quite a few pens over the last few years, some at craft shows and some to individuals. I charge $25 for the slimline pen and pencil set. I also charge $25 for the Mont Blanc(designer pen) and the same for the Cigar pen. If they want a wood box, that is $5 extra. Yesterday I made a Designer Pen out of Snakewood which will be a little more because of the price of the wood. Hope this helps. Rod in Appleton, WA

Dave Dionne
10-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Rod is the $25 for both the pen and pencil together? or each piece?

Thanks Dave

Dennis Peacock
10-18-2004, 10:27 AM
All depends on where you are geographically. I many times get offered a $5 bill for one of my pens. :eek: :mad: When asked "How Much?" I say $15 for the Slimline pens and $20 for RT Euro or FT American. The I get this look from them: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So.....I say....all depends on where you are located and what the general economy and attitude of the market is.

Dave Dionne
10-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks Dennis

I was wondering that, were I work (1 hr south of where I live) $25-30 a pen would be a good number I think. Near where I live where my boy would be I wonder, mostly blue collar not sure if $20 would fly or not. When you have to pay $4 per kit he shoule be selling them for at leat $15 I would say or more.

Thanks again Dave

Rod Torgeson
10-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Dave.....The $25 is for the slimline Pen and Pencil set or $12.50 each. I have sold some of the slimline pens without the pencils. Hope this helps. Rod in Appleton, WA

Ken Salisbury
10-18-2004, 11:34 AM
I have sold 100's and 100's at Craft Shows. Prices vary quite a bit depending on style and material used. For instance a plain slimline pen $17.95. Plain FT American/RT Euro $22.00, segmented RT American $45.00, Various pens made from burls, olive wood, etc $30.00 - $40.00.

I hope this helps.

Dave Dionne
10-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Thanks Ken

Those are the numbers I was hoping for for him, I will pass this along and have him make a sign of sale prices if things do not move.

Dave

John M. Cioffi
10-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi Dave,

As you stated, $25-30 for a slimline is right on for our whole area. If you have a good product;turned well & labled, you WILL get that price. Down south, houses are less expensive than the N.east also. The best point I learned from both Ken S. & Bill G. are that you have to "sell " yourself. Explain the type of wood, process, benefits,ect. That is going to help in establishing yourself,wherever you go. Best of Blessings for you & your son & hope you have a lot of fun.:D :D :D
Let us know how it went.
John

Dave Dionne
10-18-2004, 1:39 PM
Hi John

Thanks for the thoughts and kind words, My son would be doing this in Rochester NH and it will be interesting to see how he does. If he could get set up in Portsmouth I think he would have a better chance at what I consider a fair price. Where are you located? I have yet to met a fellow creeker would love to have a bbq or something next summer.

Thanks again Dave

Roger Myers
10-18-2004, 6:53 PM
Dave....not to steal your thread, but you have fellow creekers nearby. I live in Stratham NH, Dave Anderson is in Chester NH...we have people all over Mass, NH, Maine, and VT. Dave and I are both active in the Guild of NH Woodworkers where you can meet over 300 fellow woodworkers of all skill levels....pm me or Dave if you want info on this group...and by the way Dave, I'm willing to wager a pretty reasonable sum that you and I work for the same company :) and I'm at that other building off rte 128
Aside from our Guild get togethers, a number of us can be found at any of the LFOD auctions, or sifting through the wood at Highland Hardwood or Woodcraft in Newington, or the new Rockler stores...just to name a few spots...
Drop me a note. and I'll fill you in...
Roger

Gilbert Vega
10-18-2004, 10:22 PM
I've only had one chance to sell pens at a craft show. I sold the slimline pens for $25 each while the Euro pens wnet for $35-45. Sold some Mesquite pen/pencil sets and antler sets for $65/set.

John M. Cioffi
10-19-2004, 7:12 AM
Hi Dave,

I'm in the Danvers area,where I'll be working for the Freedom pens program @ the Rockler store on the 23rd.If you have a chance, come by to make a pen.
John