PDA

View Full Version : How to best re finish a old Sellac finish

bob frost
01-16-2010, 12:02 PM
The furniture appears to be oak and not in bad shape. Just a little dull over the many years and some whitish streaks where it looks like the finish is worn off. Can I just re coat with a clear shellac or should I use a wiping varnish?

Scott Holmes
01-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Need more info...

How old is this piece?
How do you know it's shellac?
What look and feel do you want when finished?

1st step would be to thoroughly clean it.

Then let us know what you have discovered and we can help...

bob frost
01-16-2010, 12:44 PM
The piece is about 20 years old .I applied denatured alcohol and observed the sticky like feeling afterwords. I was using Bob Flexner's book on finishing as a guide. I am looking to give a new type luster shine and to clear up the washed out portions.

Scott Holmes
01-16-2010, 6:24 PM
Did you clean it before you used the DNA?

DNA will make dirt, old wax, grime, etc. soft and sticky too.

What is this piece of furniture? Washed outand worn out are tough to visualize, what do you mean by these descriptions?

James Ogle
01-16-2010, 9:53 PM
Yeah I agree. DNA will dissolve all sorts of nasties. I would wipe it down with Mineral Spirits or Naptha. Neither of those will dissolve shellac, lacquer, or varnish. I would be suprised if a production peice from twenty years ago had shellac on it. I would be only slightly less suprised if it had varnish unless some one redid it.

Scott Holmes
01-17-2010, 12:16 AM
If I had to guess I would say it is lacquer but that is a guess still need more info.

Are the white streaks in the finish or on the top?
Does wiping with it with MS make the white go away for awhile?

How about when you wipe it with denautred alcohol?