PDA

View Full Version : Tooling Up for Maloof Rocker???

Carroll Courtney
01-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Guys,besides purchasing the Charles Brock plans (Highlands???)what other tools is needed?I know that I need to also purchase the Kutzall wheel, but what color and from who?I did watch a DVD of Sam making his chair and spading out the legs 5degrees.He noted that he had special router bids made to match the angle of the legs.Does the Brock plans do this as well,and if so where does a person purchase this bits?These are the only tools that I know of that I need to purchase,so if there is any others please let me know.This chair has special interest since I found out that my daughter is pregnant and will deliver sometimes in July.This will be my gift,since she has provided me w/ so much happyness over the yrs(some stress as well) I do plan on making afew so these new tool purchases will be for more than just one chair.The thread on the Maloof rocker is getting pretty long. Keep the pics coming and thanks for sharing the experiences along the way----Thanks Carroll

Brian Kent
01-16-2010, 3:45 PM
Hi Carroll. You are on a fun road.

A couple of unique tools are needed.

Whiteside Rabbett / Slotting bit #1922 & Roundover #2010 - $67 for the set.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/whiteside-rabbet-round-over-bit-set.aspx

Veritas tenon cutters - 3/8" and 1/2" from Lee Valley. $43.

Reamer - about $20 at Lee Valley or make one.

1/2" Dowel centers. Like these - available many places, about $5:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44995&cat=1,180,42288

Other unique tools, or you can substitute with less expensive options you may already have.

I used a very coarse grit sandpaper with backer for an angle grinder instead of the Kutzall. It worked fine and cost about $14. Best price I found for the Extra Coarse Kutzall was Kutzalldirect.com $47. Check your angle grinder arbor size - 5/8" or 7/8" before ordering.
http://www.kutzalldirect.com/shopping_cart.cfm

Charles recommends a 2" spiral template bit for $90. I used a smaller template or pattern bit in steps.

I am not buying a 1-1/4" radius roundover bit for $139. If someone says, hey, I'll give you $139 to roundover the bottom of this chair seat with a rasp, I'll take the offer.

Cheap tool that will really help:
Contour Plane(s) from Lee Valley - 17.50 or 27.50 for 2.

Carroll, do you have a bandsaw, tablesaw, Microplane or Stanley Sureform?

I started this as a whole year 2010 project and I am amazed how things have fallen into place. The excitement of the project and the beauty as it takes shape really help me to focus my resources.

Brian

Brian Kent
01-16-2010, 3:51 PM
I just saw another question of yours-

Charles uses a technique where he adds an angled board to change the cuts by 6°, for the same cut that Sam uses the 5° bits for. It works, but I do have a mistake that I will need to "plug" with a 6° wedge when I glue up. Whiteside now makes a 5° set that Charles Brock advertises so I assume he will offer instructions on how to use them.

One more tool - a Miller 1X Drill Bit - about $18 for the bit or $26 with Miller Dowels that are not needed for this project. I am buying this bit, but Shawn did fine without it. It is for pre-drilling screws.

Carroll Courtney
01-17-2010, 9:51 AM
Brian thanks for the replys.How did you handle the 5 degrees on the legs and do you have any pics of the setup?I did email Charles and he replyed within a couple of hrs.He said that in the video it is explain how to set it up and also to setup different angles in case a person want the legs to spade out alittle more.I could not fine the 5 degree Whiteside bits on the website,so I may just wait till the Brock package gets here.I really want to just stick with the 5 degrees so if that helps me from making mistakes,will I need all the help I can get.Thanks again ----Carroll