PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody on this forum not making a cabinet for their Delta Midi

Brian Brown
01-16-2010, 10:57 AM
So in the short amount of time I have had to read the forum recently, it seems that everyone is making a cabinet for their Delta midi. :D Well add me to the list. Unfortunately, I'm not making my cabinet for the new Delta, but just my old Delta. :( I'm jealous of those of you that have a new one. I am sizing the cabinet I am making to fit the new lathe just in case. ;) Mine is taking way to long, because it is complex. It has to be sized just right to fit the garage, and still allow the cars to be parked inside. What a pain. :eek: I hope to have pics some time soon. Meanwhile there are no currlies flying. :(

John Keeton
01-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Brian, my "stand" is in construction this weekend, but I opted for a very basic stand of 2x4 material. At some point, I will make a drawer unit to sit on the shelf.

Most of the cabinets are neat looking, and several creekers have some really nice units. For me, it was hard to look at this as a furniture build, and the more I looked at the various cabinets, the more my interest waned!

I look forward to seeing what you are doing with yours.

mickey cassiba
01-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Brian, I may be the only one, but no, I'm not building a cabinet for mine, Rather , I've built a frame, much like a hand truck, with casters on the HS end. This allows me to store my lathe vertically in my tool shed.
Mick

Steve Mawson
01-16-2010, 12:20 PM
No not me, mine is sitting right on top of the bench since I got it. One problem-not much room left to use as a work bench but I am getting along.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-16-2010, 1:29 PM
Not planning to build one for mine. All my tools have to be accessible to the other two lathes.If I put them in a cabinet, my brain would short-circuit looking for them.I am building a new 3X6 ft. table to add to the confusion. Max in Ft. Worth Tx.

Jim Underwood
01-16-2010, 2:17 PM
I'm not building one for my Delta Midi...

Oh wait. I don't have one.... :p

Good luck on the build. Let's see pix of it when you get done. Or even if you're not done...

Brian Effinger
01-16-2010, 2:39 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not making my cabinet for the new Delta, but just my old Delta. :( I'm jealous of those of you that have a new one.

Well you need to get out to the store and fix that right away! :D :p

I can't wait to see what you come up with. I will probably be rebuilding mine, because I think it is too high, by several inches (I am only 5'-7"). At least I'll be able to reuse the top and base.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=138163&d=1263323980

Leo Van Der Loo
01-16-2010, 2:53 PM
The more I see the new Delta the more I want one, I do have the 10" delta midi, and bought it primarily to be able to turn when away from the shop, I also got a Workmate 425 to go with it, it works just fine clamped on the workmate, with a board at the back and swing-arm light and lighted magnifier at each back corner, sitting in metal pipe that I installed after drilling the holes for it, lathe and lights all plugged into a powerbar screwed underneath the board in the back to keep dust and shavings out.
It works just fine for me, as I'm not tall, the height of the workmate is just right on.
Though variable speed and more power is what I lust after :D

Steve Kubien
01-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I confess before my turning brethren...I am NOT making a stand for my Delta midi lathe! I should point out that I do not have one but that is not exactly the point or the original question now, is it? Hmmm, maybe it is sleepy time for me.....

Joe Little
01-17-2010, 7:41 AM
Count me in on the build for the new delta midi. Have yet to commit to a design but I am getting close and will post when done. Everyones ideas here are helpful.

Donny Lawson
01-18-2010, 9:22 PM
Here's my cabinet and my stand for my grinder.Very sturdy and works great.
Donny

David Hostetler
01-20-2010, 7:51 PM
I'm not. But then again I have a Central Machinery #34706...

Oh, and I am building a cabinet for it...