PDA

View Full Version : hello

doris fiebig
01-16-2010, 5:09 AM
hello, i am new to this forum, but not new to carving. i love carving and do it for about 3 1/2 years. my main interests are carving portraits, but i also love to try everything that peeks my interest (almost everything :-))... and, as my carvings speak better language than my english, i include for my introduction an image of an arabian mare, i carved last year

http://woodcarvingblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/arabian_mare_04.jpg?w=500&h=375

i am looking forward to learn from you, as well as sharing my ideas and what i have learned so far with you.

Doug Duffield
01-16-2010, 5:26 AM
Good to see you here, Doris. Your knowledge and skills will be a great value to the forum!

Roger Strautman
01-16-2010, 5:49 AM
It's good to see you here Doris. :)

Nice looking horse.

Glenn Clabo
01-16-2010, 6:19 AM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Doris. Your work is inspirational.

Dave McGeehan
01-16-2010, 8:24 AM
Doris, love your style of surface texturing and the movement suggested by the mane and tail. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

doris fiebig
01-16-2010, 9:34 AM
hi doug and roger, nice to meet you here :-) ... thank you glenn and roger. if you wish, you can see more of my work in the galleries on my homepage (http://www.riolama.de/), or on my blog (http://woodcarvingblog.wordpress.com/) that i share with mark yundt. on the blog there are more recent projects, with long stories how the projects evolved. ... thank you all for your nice welcome.

Mark Yundt
01-16-2010, 9:47 AM
Hi Doris! Glad to see you registered and are posting.

Philip Allin
01-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Oh Doris, it's so good to see you have posted to this site. The photo of the horse is very timely because I'm now working on the details of the two horses at the top of this piece:

These are a little unusual because they have wings! LOL

Phil

Robert Parrish
01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Welcome to the Creek Doris. I'm not a carver but I'm currently building an 1835 German Adler train. I'll post pictures when it is complete. I love your horse.

Bruce Page
01-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Doris, welcome to Saw Mill Creek. That is a beautiful carving. We love pictures here, so don't be shy. :)

doris fiebig
01-16-2010, 2:56 PM
hi mark, thank you for inviting me to this site :-) ... hello phil, good to se you here too. so you are doing a couple of pegasus, what is the idea ?...just in case you need more views for reference, on my blog are some... hi robert, i am no train expert, but it sounds like a great project, and i am ooking forward to see it....thank you bruce for the wecome, yes i will post more pictures soon...i am working on a large panel for a bookshelf, and that might be interesting to see inbetween steps.

Philip Allin
01-16-2010, 5:47 PM
This is the idea, Doris: The carving starts with a winged horse tesselation around the base (a tesselation is a repeating pattern in which the figures fit together). The pattern wraps around all four sides of the wood. The figures have more shape toward the top, with the two "Pegasus" (Pegasi?) at the top. The figures near the bottom will be stained like in this pattern:

doris fiebig
01-17-2010, 2:07 AM
ah, i only noticed now that i can click the small image to enlarge,,,now i can see, not only two but many pegasi, wow an escher in the round so to say ! what a wonderful project, very exciting. are the pegasi a design of escher or did you make the tesselation yourself? i am familiar with some of his tesselations, and the bridges that cross in a way that is impossible, but i cannot remember that i have seen pegasi. anyway, i would like to see your work again before finish, if you like sharing steps, since i would like to see how you tackle the proplem of fading the horses :-) thanks for sharing !