PDA

View Full Version : Hot glue guru needed. Apply here.

Rick Potter
01-16-2010, 2:49 AM
My dad left me several hot melt glue guns and a few bags of glue sticks. There are about 50 sticks that are loose, and I don't know what they can be used on. Is there anyone out there who knows how to tell the types of sticks, and what they are for?

I have one type that has a 2 stamped on them. I believe this means it can be used in a high heat and a low heat gun. Correct? These are in a baggie which he wrote "not for wood" on. They are pretty clear colored.

The second type I have a lot of is yellowish colored, kind of amber. Does the color mean anything? There are no markings on the sticks.

The last type is clear colored like the above, but without the stamped "2". No markings on these either.

I have boxes of sticks marked "all purpose" and "All purpose woodworking" also.

Help.

Rick Potter

Al Navas
01-16-2010, 6:50 AM
Rick,

You might want to try posting this on the Neanderthal forum.

Bill Cunningham
01-16-2010, 10:06 PM
From my experience, the darker the colour, the more heavyduty the glue. I use about 30-40 pounds a year of the Light amber coloured 1/2" x 12" sticks in my shipping/packing. Dark brown/amber ones are usually high heat, strong hold, and a longer working time while the clear ones are usually light duty and harden up fairly quick..