PDA

View Full Version : Torit Dust Collector for Woodworking?

zayd alle
01-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Hello, folks.

There's a local shop selling a Torit Model 19 dust collector, but it comes from a metalworking shop. Are these suited to be used for a woodshop? The cyclone shape looks narrower than a typical woodworking cyclone (pic attached).

From what I can telling looking around the web, it's probably a 2hp. I have a 3hp motor and blower I can probably adapt to it if I feel the need.

Would like to hear your thoughts... thanks!

Jeff Geltz
01-16-2010, 2:08 PM
I have a Torit Model 13 that I've used for years. It's built like a tank and I have it set up with a wireless remote on/off switch. It has no trouble keeping up with my 20" planer and it has a 3/4 HP motor.

zayd alle
01-16-2010, 3:22 PM
I have a Torit Model 13 that I've used for years. It's built like a tank and I have it set up with a wireless remote on/off switch. It has no trouble keeping up with my 20" planer and it has a 3/4 HP motor.

Thanks, Jeff. Does the cyclone spin out most of the chips and dust or do you find yourself cleaning the filters often?

Zayd

Jeff Geltz
01-17-2010, 11:34 PM
There is a large bag that hangs off the left hand side similar to the one in your picture. The only time that fills up is if I don't empty out the cabinet. I would like some additional chip capacity that the stand and barrel arrangement like the one you have pictured has, but other than that this thing has sucked up everything I have thrown at it. I've used it for planing, jointing, sawing, lathe work, shaping and shop floor cleanup.

zayd alle
01-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Good to know -- I think I'll take a serious look at it. Thanks for the valuable input.