PDA

View Full Version : First Pens

James Combs
01-15-2010, 9:55 PM
New to the forum and noticed another "First Pen" post so though I might as well show mine too. The picture is of my first 4 and they are labeled serial numbers (SN-n) 1-4. Number 3 is my first give away, a present to my wife of 45... give or take, years. I will have to verify the exact number before September (anniversary).:)

I just retired from MASCO Builder Cabinet Group (Quality & Merilatt Brand Cabinets) last March and I needed something to keep me busy so I built a small shop (20x32) and put in Grizzly VS midi lathe and other equipment and the rest as they say is history. I'm up to about 50 or so pens now, kind of lost count in the Christmas giving rush. Brothers, Sisters, Nephews, Nieces, etc. That's a walnut burl sitting at the door of my shop. Hope to get some nice pen blanks and bowls out of it someday.

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
The pens look great and the shop looks really nice. I just retired also. So enjoy the new shop.

James Combs
01-15-2010, 10:38 PM
The pens look great and the shop looks really nice. I just retired also. So enjoy the new shop.

Thanks Bernie. Hope to get the shop painted or vinyled this spring.

David E Keller
01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Nice work on both the pens and the shop. Welcome aboard.

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2010, 11:12 PM
James - Welcome to the Creek!

Good looking pens! I'm sure they must have been a big hit as Christmas presents!

Great looking shop! Just far enough away from everything to give you some privacy when turning! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2010, 11:27 PM
James...Welcome to the Creek!

Very nice first pens! Very nice!

Roger Bullock
01-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Welcome, you're going to like it here, lots of advice and good people. I like the #1 pen style best, I make mine somewhat like it and most people seem to like the feel. Good luck. Is that the walnut burl that fell off the back of my pickup? Send it to me and I'll let you know :rolleyes:

James Combs
01-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Welcome, you're going to like it here, lots of advice and good people. I like the #1 pen style best, I make mine somewhat like it and most people seem to like the feel. Good luck. Is that the walnut burl that fell off the back of my pickup? Send it to me and I'll let you know :rolleyes:

You know what they say about finders keepers and possession being 9/10ths:) Sorry.;)

Billy Tallant
01-18-2010, 3:25 AM
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking pens & nice shop there.