PDA

View Full Version : 16 speed drill press speed control help needed.

Ken Shoemaker
01-15-2010, 8:25 PM
I have gotten a drill press from FIL. I sure the speed is way to fast for forstner bits. Glad to have it but got no instructions on how to change the belts for speed control. Does anyone have anything that can help? BTW - I've tried to search for a manual on line but found nothing.

Steve Leverich
01-15-2010, 8:42 PM
A 16-speed press should have a speed range from about 250 rpm up to around 3000 rpm - this is all done with 3 stepped pulleys - one on the quill (that turns the chuck), one on the motor, and a floating one in between - there should be two "toggle" head bolts, one on each side of the casting near the motor, that are loosened - you then move a longer lever, usually on the right side as you face the press - forward moves the motor forward and loosens the belt tension.

Then you rearrange the belts on the pulleys to get the speed you want.

On a 3 pulley machine (12 and 16 speed) the motor and quill pulleys are larger at the bottom, and the floater is larger at the top - that way, as you move a belt up or down, always the same number of steps on each pulley, you end up with about the same distance between pulleys.

Once you find the combo you like, you move the large lever I spoke of earlier to the rear, firmly enough to get some tension on the belt system - now, while holding that lever, tighten each of the smaller toggle head bolts - this keeps the motor in position and maintains tension.

There should be a cover over all these pulleys (on top of the machine) - you can lift one side and it exposes all the stuff I just talked about, except the tension stuff that's NOT covered up by the belt cover.

If you're lucky, there will be a diagram INSIDE this cover that shows belt positions vs. speeds.

If not, generally the smaller groove on the motor and the larger groove on the quill will give the slowest speeds.

HTH... Steve

Ken Shoemaker
01-15-2010, 9:06 PM
Steve,
When I move the handle, the motor moves forward allowing the rear belt to be adjusted. But I can't seem to figure out how to move the belt on the quill pully.

TIA

John McClanahan
01-15-2010, 9:22 PM
In the pictures, the chuck is running at top speed. The idler pulley may slide, and may be a bit stuck. With the rear belt loose, tap the idler pulleys forward with a soft mallet and see if it slides. Don't hit it too hard.

John

Steve Leverich
01-16-2010, 6:31 AM
John's right - that middle (idler) pulley is on a swing arm so it can move forward - this will tighten the rear belt while loosening the front one.

If you want a slow speed for forstners, maybe around 1000 rpm should be good - try this -

Unplug, move the motor forward, then (might want gloves on for this) grab the middle pulley and try to move it forward - wiggle it, tap it with a rubber hammer, might need some lube in the hole that holds the "crank" shaft the idler pulley rides on, but move it forward. This will loosen the front belt. Roll the belt up off the front pulley, then the middle pulley, and set the belt aside.

Next, push the idler to the rear and roll the rear belt up off the pulleys - you'll need to move it up to the smaller groove, then the other end up a groove, repeat til it's off. set that belt aside.

Now put the FRONT belt on first, and work it down to the lowest groove on both the front and the idler pulley - then push the idler to the rear, and reinstall the rear belt - probably on the second set of grooves from the top for forstners.

I don't see a chart inside your lid - mine has that. You may be able to figure out the pulley ratios and make a chart - the motor speed is probably 1725 rpm. It'd be a lot easier with a manual though, I'd keep looking.

Oh, in the second pic the pivot shaft for the idler is at the LEFT end of that small bar under the pulley - if the pulley doesn't want to move, you'll need to work that back and forth with a bit of light oil added around the left end (pic) of that flat bar, there is a round shaft under the end that goes into a bushing in the head under the flat bar.

HTH... Steve

Ken Shoemaker
01-16-2010, 7:51 AM
You guys are GREAT!!!! Thanks!!!! Maybe I could find a pic of the inside of someones lid so I can see what the belt positions do. Mabe I can find a manual for another drill press that would help.

I'll keep trying.... Thanks.... Ken

Richard Wolf
01-16-2010, 8:03 AM
Here is a link to the Grizzly instructions. I'm sure the speed range is close. Look at page 28 for the belt set up.
http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/g0491_m.pdf

Richard

Dick Bringhurst
01-16-2010, 8:11 AM
Ken, that's the same set up as my Jet. It might help to go on line and review the Operator Manual. Dick B.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2010, 9:49 AM
I'm with Dick. It appears identical to my Jet 16". I'll bet the online manual will be close.