PDA

View Full Version : OK John Let's See Em!

Tyler Howell
10-18-2004, 6:59 AM
Still don't get to do "big fun" stuff in the shop, one of the houses is always demanding attention.
Milling up some recycled 100 year old Red oak to trim out one of 12 new windows and 2 doors in my 100 Y. O. bungalow. PM & the Rotex go to work.
This is the pantry that I gutted. Plumbed in HVAC, 2 new electrical ckts, class 5, cable, & filtered water.
When I first moved in and pulled out the old fridge it literally fell through the floor. Took two of us and a 2x4 to get it out. Years of condensation from a fridge and Ice boxes before that. Could see where it had been fixed many times in many ways, with 4 layers of flooring, & floor leveler.
Some new joists, stiffeners, insulation 3/4 T&G sub, dura-rock and my first attempt at porcelain tiles.
Used a lot of Neander tools on the trim out this weekend to get a better fit and practice what I learned.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2004, 7:51 AM
What's this Tyler....your gold has.....is that sawdust on it?......Sounds like a successful weekend!

John Miliunas
10-18-2004, 8:08 AM
What's this Tyler....your gold has.....is that sawdust on it?......Sounds like a successful weekend!

By gosh, Ken, me thinks you may be right! At least, it *looks* like sawdust! :eek:

Seriously, Tyler, it looks like you're making good progress on the house. Although ours isn't quite that old, years of neglect have taken their toll and everything we touch cosmetically, seems to first need structual attention. Nice work on the projects, bud! :) :cool:

Mark J Bachler
10-18-2004, 8:14 AM
Looks great Tyler. Don't ya just love fixing up old out of square houses that other people have butchered for years before you got there. The only thing worse is working on my log house.

Tyler Howell
10-18-2004, 8:37 AM
No Ken I keep a bag of saw dust on hand and just sprinkle it on the saw when I'm taking pix.:p :p

Hear you on that one Mark! Just ran into another snag last night. Now years ago I would have just got a bigger hammer. But now with Creekers around the world watching, thought I better do the job the correct way...... when I figure out what that is:confused: . I think I'm going to retire from muddin & tapin. I've lost my touch and just not satisfied with the results.

Just told Uncle Bob what a tough time I have with saw dust and sinus congestion. Especially with Red oak. The Rotex and CT worked like a champ. Now if I could just get rid of that leaf blower:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Jerry Olexa
10-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Tyler, I know what you mean. I spent about a year w my daughter and her husband fixing up an old house. It included repairing roof leaks, putting in a 2nd bath, Building a new floor to replace uneven one, adding doors, painting, electrical, etc. etc. Of course just about everything was not flush or square, Good job on the tile, Tyler. Be patient!

Ted Shrader
10-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Tyler -

When should we come over to eat? Looks like it is about ready. :)

Ted

Tyler Howell
10-18-2004, 2:36 PM
Tyler -

When should we come over to eat? Looks like it is about ready. :)

TedAnytime Ted Anytime! there is always something in the fridge. as Mark Bachler says "bring work clothes".

keith zimmerman
10-18-2004, 4:04 PM
[QUOTE=Tyler Howell]Just ran into another snag last night.

Ain't that always the way it is in an old house??? One thing ALWAYS leads to another...and another, etc. :D :D :D

been there, done that...many times...usually by myself.

keithz