PDA

View Full Version : Which bench top vise

Brian Runau
01-15-2010, 7:38 PM
Next project is a maple top work bench with vise. How big and which flavor of vise?

Thanks

Brian

John Sanford
01-16-2010, 2:29 AM
Vise for the top of the bench, a la a machinists vise, or a vise for the side of the bench, to be used primarily for woodworking?

How much are you willing to spend, how much handwork do you plan on doing with the bench, and how much work are you willing to put into possibly building and installing the vise?

There are a myriad of vises out there, with different answers to those three questions. Give us some sense of how you answer those questions, and we can start narrowing things down.

Brian Runau
01-16-2010, 9:37 AM
John:

Wood working vise for side or end of workbench. I would spend what I need to in order to get the right item for me. Looking I see 8" units at rockler for $90 or 12" units for $140.

My interest lies in simpl strong elegant joinery. I love the simplicity and look of Craftsman and Stickley style design.

Looking at a premade vise that you add to a bench. Whatever it takes to install the vise is fine.

Thanks and all very good questions.

Brian

lowell holmes
01-16-2010, 9:42 AM
I'm not making a recommendation.

I am considering adding the LV twin screw vise to my existing bench.

Brian Runau
01-16-2010, 1:33 PM
Lowell:

Thanks. I did not consider racking as a longer term problem with wear. The twin screw idea certainly would eliminate that and this should hold up well over time. Might as well wait and spend more and get something that will hold up versus buying two because one doesn't work as well when it wears.

Thanks

Brian

tyler mckenzie
01-16-2010, 2:35 PM
Here's a vote LV twin.. Very happy with it.

Tyler

Edit* link removed