PDA

View Full Version : New table saw all set up and ready to eat wood

Derek Gilmer
01-15-2010, 6:29 PM
Well after long delays and indecision a table saw has arrived in the garage. I'd been drooling over grizzlys for awhile but the price was a bit much for me. I almost gave in and bought a Ridgid but my wife said it was ok to go with a grizzly if I'd wait a little while to save up. Then lo and behold a few weeks after Christmas her parents pull up at our house and say they need help unloading some things. I walked outside to see a grizzly crate in the back of his truck that was my new table saw. Apparently it was supposed to be given on Christmas but flooding here in central Ark trapped it on high ground on his farm. :D

Once the electrical was run for the beast I spent most of the last two days scrubbing cosmolene off and assembling the saw as I had time between work, church and other commitments. I took off work today to finish up and here she is, a brand new G1023SLWX. My wonderful wife then produced a mobile base and Incra 1000HD to go with the saw she'd been hiding. Needless to say I was blown away and near speechless at the late Christmas surprise!
138486 138487138488

I've already run some cherry and oak I had through and it slices it up like a dream. Now I have to clean my garage/shop and run some dust collection. Then the projects can begin. As you can see in the background of the pics, it is a mess in there right now. But a good mess, filled with boxes from tools, rags from cleaning cosmolene and sawdust from test cuts.

Kevin Kelly
01-15-2010, 6:33 PM
Great present, congratulations! Pardon my ignorance, but can you tell me more about the fence extension. I assume it's cast iron and the hole is for a router? What size is the fence?

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-15-2010, 6:51 PM
Congrats!!! Good things come to those who wait.........

michael case
01-15-2010, 6:59 PM
Ooh! It even has a cast iron router table extension! Enjoy your new machine.

Mikail Khan
01-15-2010, 7:12 PM
Congrats on the new saw. How do you like the Incra HD?

MK

Derek Gilmer
01-15-2010, 8:39 PM
The fence is 42" long and has a 26" rip capacity. The table extension is for a router (has clamps and two throat plates) to be mounted there. Here is the saw's info from grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/10-5-HP-Single-Phase-Left-Tilt-Cabinet-Saw/G1023SLWX

I'm loving the incra, makes me want to splurge and buy an incra router fence as well :)

Jim O'Dell
01-15-2010, 8:43 PM
Congrats on the new saw Derek!! I'd say you married ok there! :D Jim.

Derek Gilmer
01-15-2010, 8:51 PM
I agree Jim, as they say around these parts, "They are good people" :D

Oh ya, now that I don't have to buy a saw I could become a contributor here.. not quite the same price but it seemed the right thing to do with all I've learned lately.

Justin Freund
01-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Congrats!. How do you like the mobile base? I was looking at one for my vintage Unisaw but all the reviews I saw said the wheels were bad and the base wouldn't support near the advertised capacity. Any truth to that?

Van Huskey
01-16-2010, 3:21 AM
Congrats. Why type of mounting does the router extension have for the router itself, I have always wondered.

Sue Wise
01-16-2010, 6:23 AM
Another congratulations on the saw. Several years ago I bought a used Grizzly with the long extension table but I would love to have the router extension. Another upgrade you might also save up for is the Shark Guard. This guard is really great on that saw!

scott spencer
01-16-2010, 7:02 AM
Great saw, great story. Congrats Derek!

Don Whitten
01-16-2010, 7:22 AM
Congrats, nice saw. Great wife and inlaws.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-16-2010, 8:42 AM
I agree Jim, as they say around these parts, "They are good people" :D

Derek, I'd have to agree with that!!

BTW....is that a *necktie*???? Here on the Creek? Wow....this place is really moving up in the world.... ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2010, 9:58 AM
Derek,

I can see why in your avatar you have such a big smile!

Congrats...first on the family....2nd on the saw! Both are huge gloats!

Derek Gilmer
01-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Well the necktie is there from a "formal" night on our honeymoon cruise. I walked around in shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops 95% of that trip. One night to make my wife proud seemed fair enough :)

The mounting brackets are basically 4 flat pieces of iron that bolt down to hold a router in place. It looks like a fixed base would hold well and if you wanted to drill a hold to use above table adjustments it should work. I've got a dedicated Freud router in another table right now so I haven't got to test this out yet.

The mobile base seems to hold up well, I haven't moved it around alot but so far so good with it. This this is pretty heavy duty steel I have a hard time seeing it not support the saw. They are not huge wheels, so if you had a very uneven surface it might be troublesome. However on my garage floor it works well.

Neil Brooks
01-16-2010, 6:06 PM
Great saw. Great accessories. Great gift!!

Congrats!

Grizzly is NOT stingy with their cosmoline, are they ;)

Bruce Page
01-16-2010, 6:34 PM
Sounds like you married into a good family.

Congrats!

John Hartman
01-26-2010, 2:48 PM
Let me congratulate you on your choice.
But I guess I'm a little bias since I also received a Grizzly 1023 for Christmas.

John

Rick Alexander
01-26-2010, 2:55 PM
I've got the exact same saw - router extension and all. Absolutely has lived up to my expectations.

Congratulations and enjoy.