PDA

View Full Version : PM3520A vs. PM3520B

Jon Finch
01-15-2010, 2:58 PM
Just wondering what the differences are between these two lathes? I know the A model has been replaced by the B and is no longer manufactured, but you never know when one might show up in the classifieds. From what I've been able to dig up, the A is lacking rpm readout, spindle lock and has a slightly different (mostly cosmetic) different tail stock. Am I correct and are there other differences?

dan carter
01-15-2010, 5:19 PM
a couple of things come to mind:

the tool rest support is different, on the B Model, the upright is moved to the left, to make it off center, rather than being cast in the center. the tail stock on the B model has a sheet metal door on it. i'm not sure, but i don't think a oneway style live center was included with the A model, but is installed with the B model. also seems to me that an extra tool support lock screw (2) was included on the A model, whereas only one is included with the B model.

Greg Ketell
01-15-2010, 6:25 PM
The last thing that I know of is that the speed display on the B reads out RPM, on the A it reads out in "frequency".

GK

Mike Peace
01-15-2010, 6:27 PM
The b model somes with a very nice brass tipped knockout bar with a sliding weight. It also has a chrome handle on the tailstock instead of the cast iron on the A model.

Richard Bell CA
01-15-2010, 6:40 PM
Jon:

Go to this site

http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_26cvf2mh&revision=_latest

and click on link for "review of features". Some of the other review links may also address the changes.

Good luck

Richard

Reed Gray
01-15-2010, 9:00 PM
The speed ranges are different. The A model, at least the earlier ones had slow speed range from 0 to 1500, and high speed range from 0 to 3000. On the B model, slow range is from 50 to 1200, and from 50 to 3200. If the speed goes below 50 rpm, it turns off. I did not like this feature. I like my warped bowls and need that speed range for sanding them. The B model can be adjusted down, but they don't like to do that because they are worried about the motor burning out. I sanded out thousands of bowls that way, and the motor ran cooler when sanding, than when I was turning. I did find the 1200 rpm too slow for my taste on smaller bowls. Both do have a spindle lock. The top of the headstock is flat on the B model, so you can put some things on it.

robo hippy

Jon Finch
01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys!