PDA

View Full Version : PM66 finally set up

sascha gast
10-18-2004, 4:06 AM
i got my new toy on thursday and assembled it that day. was easy, just a bit heavy, hauling it around by myself and lifting it on a plywood base by myself. then i needed to level my routertable, my outfeed table and my workbench to be all nice and level. after that i built a kickswitch, so i can turn off the saw with my foot if i don't want to let go of a piece. i had that setup on my supersaw and i really like working with it. and yes, it's yellowheart, to match my saw.
i just had to get that done before monday, my 10" oliver jointer is coming on monday and i needed everything clear. still don't really know how to get the 900 pound monster on the mobile base. i will post pics when it's here

sascha

Dick Parr
10-18-2004, 7:52 AM
Sascha, go rent a cherry picker/engine lift from the rental center to life you tools onto base's. It will save on the back. ;)

Nice looking setup with 66.

Tyler Howell
10-18-2004, 8:50 AM
All right Sascha!

Nothing like the gold standard! You beefed that thing around by your self:eek: . You must be a man of steal!:cool:

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Very nice setup with the incorporation of the router table!
Are you getting the "new" Oliver Jointer? Be sure to give us your opinion of the machine.

Hal Flynt
10-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Sascha,

I may be able to give you an idea or 2 on getting the monster onto a mobile base, since I did it twice by myself. (I am no body builder).

The key is a simple tool, the lever or in this case a crowbar.

The first base I used was a Shop Fox. Gather some scrap wood of various thicknesses. I started by jacking up a corner and putting a series of block under the saw about 6 inches from the end (and only about 1/2 inch out) until a Shop Fox corner will slide under (You could assemble an end with the crossbar and 2 corners). Insert the bars now and remove the blocking letting the saw now rest on the corners. Repeat for the other end and using the crowbar to support the saw as you remove the blocks and insert the crossbars. (2 people would make it easier). Now I would only use the Super Heavy Duty Shop Fox, I used the Heavy Duty and thought it was too weak for a lot of moving, so I sprang for the PM base.

When I got the PM base, I realized that it would have been easier to install had I not already put the Shop Fox on, but necessity is the mother of invention. The PM is in 2 sections with the saw pads welded together into one unit and the extension as another. I measured the height of the saw and the height of the pads from the floor and decided that I needed to Shim the saw upward about 5/8 to 3/4 " to keep the top level with my router table (or whatever height is most comfortable to you). I jacked the saw up with the crowbar and blocks until it was suspended off the Shop Fox. I then removed the Shop Fox. At this point the saw was suspended about 3 inches off of the floor on 4 stacks of oak cutoffs. I started the base under the saw on the motor end until the crossbar came into contact with the first 2 stacks of cutoffs. Now there was room on the motor end to put 2 more stacks inside the cross bar with some levering which allowed me to remove the 2 stacks the limited the travel. Now the base could be pushed further till it hit the far 2 stacks. I moved them with levering to the very end of the saw and pushed the base as far as it would go. I looked at this for a long time until I decided to put 2 stacks in the middle and let the saw teeter totter on them while I removed the 2 from the motor end. Then I just pulled the saw all the way onto the base sliding on the 2 shims that I installed earlier, levered and removed the center stack, squared the base, connected the extension and took a deep breath and smiled.

Notes on the blocks and levering: I had about 20 4 inch x ¾” oak block and some pine so that each time I levered up I would slip one block at a time as I went around until it was high enough and I lowered them by one block when I removed the Shop Fox and started the PM. This kept things stable and actually fairly easy to do. As each block went under, I had to increase the size of the fulcrum to compensate.

Good luck and congratulations.
Hal

Boyd Gathwright
10-18-2004, 12:09 PM
…. Nice arrangement, Router table looks good and I like where you have stored your blade wrench too. Good luck on manhandling your new 10" Oliver jointer, try to get some help in moving it. The smart thing is like Dick said or maybe someone nearby has a tractor with a bucket on it you could use. It’s no fun when you get hurt, that just takes a lot of time and screws up everything. Take it from experience; I have had three hernias trying to do things by myself.

Good luck with your new toys.

<O:p</O:p

Boyd :cool: ;)

i got my new toy on thursday and assembled it that day.

Steve Clardy
10-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Looks like a nice setup. I like the storage cab also.
Steve

sascha gast
10-18-2004, 1:55 PM
thanx guys for your help. i received the mobile base on friday, it is about 50" long and 20 wide, weighs a ton. i'll see if i can do what hal said, but worst case i'll rent something to help or i just pick up 4-5 guys, you know the ones that are standing around home depot. ther've helped me before.
i'll post pictures of it when it gets here

sascha