PDA

View Full Version : Old Jet Bandsaw

Joe Little
01-15-2010, 2:27 PM
I have an opportunity to get a 25 yr old 14" Jet Bandsaw that has seen little use. I have not seen it yet but has new tires and roller bearing guides. Even if this is a good deal should I avoid it because of the age? Anyone have one of these? Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks, Joe

Bill Huber
01-15-2010, 2:41 PM
25 years is really not that old for a tool of that type.

My first table saw was 54 years old and work fine.

I would sure take a look at it and if its in good shape and the price is right get it.

John Sanford
01-15-2010, 3:38 PM
I had an old Jet 14" MW-14 (3 speed metal/woodworking) Bandsaw. The column was bent and cracked, and the doohickeys (half-moon "nuts") that tighten the table broke twice on me. The motor however was fine. If the price is good, then go for it. I may even have a spare set of doohickeys I can send your way.

michael case
01-15-2010, 7:36 PM
With some brands the older models were superior. Most people would probably agree that the older American-made Delta, or Powermatics, for instance were superior to the current Chinese models. But, this is not true IMO with Jet. Jet started low and has been improving. It is now owned by the same parent company as Powermatic. Hey ofeten share the same casting as Powermatic. This is certainly so with the 14" bandsaw. Also you did not mention the price. How much for a 25 year old Jet? $100 might be fair if its in good shape.

Joe Little
01-15-2010, 7:50 PM
Thanks Michael, he says it is in excellent condition and seen very little use. he knows since he is the original owner, but he is asking $250. Seems high in light of what you said.

Joseph Tarantino
01-15-2010, 10:15 PM
doesn't sound like much of a deal.