PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw vs bandsaw for aluminum

Wakahisa Shinta
01-15-2010, 1:11 PM
I want to cut a piece of 0.1" thick aluminum sheet to make a riving knife for my TS. I have a Bosch jigsaw and a Delta 14" bandsaw, but no metal cutting blade. Which of these tools is the better tool for this task? I'm thinking the bandsaw. However, the only blades I have access to for the bandsaw locally are Vermont American @ Lowe's and maybe Milwaukee at Sears. I can get Bosch metal jigsaw blade at Lowe's. I have no idea what HD carries.

Tom Godley
01-15-2010, 1:23 PM
You should have no trouble cutting that with the proper jigsaw blade - you will need to clean up the edges no matter what you do. I have used both a regular metal cutting blade and one of the toothless carbide blades (just grit).

I would not invest in a band saw blade for one small project - in addition you would need to clean out all the shavings

Jerome Hanby
01-15-2010, 1:31 PM
If I had plenty of material, I'd go with the jigsaw. I've got a case where I had a brain infarction when ordering sheet brass and ordered the exact cumulative length I needed (didn't account for the kerf). I picked up a metal bandsaw blade just to reduce that kerf as much as possible and hopefully give ma a better (straighter) cut.

John Coloccia
01-15-2010, 2:16 PM
Personally, I would make rough cuts with a hacksaw blade. The I would clean up the straight cuts with a vixen file/disc sander/belt sander, and the curved cuts with the exposed end of my bench drum sander. Maybe with a scotcbrite wheel too, though I'm pretty sure you probably don't have one of those!

re: bandsaw blades
I've never bought a bandsaw blade locally. Ordering from a supplier is the way to go, IMHO. They'll make you whatever length you want. The only danger with this is mixing metal and wood dust can be dangerous from a sparking perspective, but in your case you're cutting aluminum and that doesn't really spark. I wouldn't run dust collection, though, and I'd clean up really well after I was done. When I was building my airplane, I had a dedicated bandsaw just for aluminum.

Myk Rian
01-15-2010, 2:26 PM
Got an air compressor? HF has a metal cutting saw for $10.
with this coupon. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayPage.do?pageFile=magurl3.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91753%2F113&Submit=Go

Wakahisa Shinta
01-15-2010, 2:36 PM
John, I don't have a bench drum sander. It's on the list of things I want.

I didn't even consider the fire hazard of the bandsaw route until you brought it up here. I forgot that I have a 4 1/2" disc grinder that I bought recently on clearance. It was $10; can't really beat that. It's Black and Decker, but for the amount of use I need it for, it's perfect. I'm going to use it now! :D

So, with your input, I am going to start hacking with my jigsaw, the grinder, maybe my old hacksaw, and then clean up with a metal hand file and sand paper.

Myk, thanks for the links, but my air compressor is only powerful enough to drive my brad nailer, inflate tires, and soccer balls.

Thanks for your help!

John Coloccia
01-15-2010, 11:06 PM
I would recommend NOT using a regular grinding wheel on aluminum. There's a very real possibility of shattering a regular stone grinding wheel if aluminum is used. I believe it has something to do with the aluminum clogging up the pores, the wheel heating up, and the aluminum expanding and shattering the wheel. That's partly why we all use Scotchbrite wheels on aluminum and never stone wheels.

Bill Cunningham
01-16-2010, 9:29 PM
A Scrollsaw works.. I cut magnesium hot stamping dies to shape on one all the time..

Wakahisa Shinta
01-17-2010, 3:21 AM
I ended up only needing my jigsaw with metal blade and the hand file for this project. I rarely get to use my Bosch jigsaw, but each time I use it I'm reminded how much I like it. With a 24T metal blade, it was very easy cutting the 0.1" thick aluminum plate. I had only minimal filing for cleaning up afterward. My TS now has a shinny, home-made riving knife that is much better than the OEM version.