PDA

View Full Version : Altering drawer slides to slide both ways?

Garrett Ellis
01-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Is there a way to take the stops (or whatever is in there) out of drawer slides to make them slide both directions?

I tried messing with some on the Lowes display but I felt weird taking things apart on their display...

Scott Hildenbrand
01-15-2010, 1:03 PM
Why not just buy them?

Two Way Drawer Slide

http://www.cabinetmakerssupply.com/accuride_model_2002_50_lb._two_way_travel_slide_ca binet_misc_3134_prd1.htm

There are several other makes and models.

Tony Bilello
01-15-2010, 1:29 PM
........ tried messing with some on the Lowes display but I felt weird taking things apart on their display...

Well, you should feel wierd. If you didnt reassemble correctly or ruined it, we - the consumer, have to pay for the lost revenue.
I assume you did get permission from the store manager prior to disassembly.

Jeff Qualmann
01-15-2010, 8:18 PM
I'm assuming you were looking at the version of the ball-bearing 100 lb slide that Lowes sells, rather than any of the roller-bearing slides. The short answer is that, no, there is no practical way for you to alter the slide to allow it to be bi-directional. For the average person to pull the various components apart or attempt to remove the existing end stop, you'd end up chasing ball-bearings across the floor and would struggle to get it reassembled and functional again.

As Scott suggested, you'd be much better off to look for a dedicated bi-directional slide. While they are not common, various companies do make them, often for specialty OEM applications or two-sided cabinetry applications like snack bars or islands accessible from both kitchen and living areas.