PDA

View Full Version : Referral Lookup

Tim Bateson
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Is there an easy way to lookup other SMC Laser Engravers by location? A couple times now I’ve received requests that just are not practical for me to do. For example if I had a customer in San Antonio, Texas, that needs a few small items engraved. It just isn't cost effective for that customer to ship them to Cincinnati, Ohio then I laser & ship them back.
I would much prefer being able to find someone local to refer the person to.
If not, is it possible to create this listing?

Dan Hintz
01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Tim,

Such a listing existed at one time, but Keith removed it as it was considered free advertising. Your best bet is to make a post titled "Looking for engraver in TX" (or similar) and pick form the people who read here on a daily/weekly basis.

Tim Bateson
01-15-2010, 10:53 AM
I think it's time we have one again. Just a name and/or business name, a location, an email address or just a link to PM the person. All searchable. It would be a valuable tool for all of us. It could also be something that only contributors could be listed in and have access to.

Dan Hintz
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
A number of us were sad when it disappeared, but I can understand Keith's position... it only takes one bad apple to ruin it for everyone. If it does happen, though, I'd certainly be up for only contributors being on the list.

Jeff Belany
01-15-2010, 11:24 AM
There was a member map that was used a while back on a Yahoo Groups forum. I really don't know how well it works or any details. If anyone wants to check it out it is at: www(dot)frappr(dot)com

Keith Outten
01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I could be talked into bringing back the laser/CNC list again, inside a thread instead of a web page and limiting it to Contributors.

I would have to find a forum to host the list since it would include people from two different forums and I would prefer not to have to keep up two or more lists.

Dan Hintz
01-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Keith, if you do it, I'd love to see little icons next to each listing so people can see at a glance what capabilities a listed company has. For example, have a separate icon for laser, dye-sub, vinyl, CNC, etc. Maybe contributors are always listed first in their respective state, or bolded. Maybe give separate links for each that would point to a gallery... give listers a chance to show off what they're capable of.

Just some thoughts...

Chip Peterson
01-15-2010, 2:11 PM
Great idea, and please count me in. I really like the icon idea too.

Keith, my 'puter skills are limited, but if I can help the effort in some way, I'm "raising my hand"

James Jaragosky
01-15-2010, 3:28 PM
Great idea, and please count me in. I really like the icon idea too.

Keith, my 'puter skills are limited, but if I can help the effort in some way, I'm "raising my hand"
+1
If I can help in anyway please let me know.

Mike Null
01-15-2010, 3:53 PM
Keith

Does the original list still exist in the archives?

I think I would avoid links and just list other contact info.

Scott Shepherd
01-15-2010, 4:10 PM
I'd love to see little icons next to each listing so people can see at a glance what capabilities a listed company has. For example, have a separate icon for laser, dye-sub, vinyl, CNC, etc. Maybe contributors are always listed first in their respective state, or bolded. Maybe give separate links for each that would point to a gallery... give listers a chance to show off what they're capable of.

Just some thoughts...

Yeah, and I'd like it if when you hovered over someone's name, it played their favorite song too :D

Todd Suire
01-15-2010, 4:23 PM
The simpler the better. If someone's interested they could contact you and you could give them more details about your capabilities.

Cliff Patrick
01-15-2010, 4:26 PM
I would be interested in this list as well and am willing to help in any way to make it work.

Jerry Hewett
01-15-2010, 5:28 PM
I would be very interested in this type of referral lookup.

Scott Shepherd
01-15-2010, 6:59 PM
Would you pay $10 a year to be listed in this directory?

I would.

Dan Hintz
01-15-2010, 7:52 PM
The problem with just a bare list with no mention of what services are offered is it may be a big list (I know the old one was getting pretty beefy in some areas). Who wants 20 calls for lasering when they only do woodworking, or a call about vinyl when you only do dye-sub? Choose broad categories, but there has to be some delineation. Links to websites I think we be okay as long as their not made into hotlinks... drop the "www", and that should be enough.

Mitchell Andrus
01-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Beware the slippery slope that leads to the designers wanting the same efforts and considerations, and CNC/Bot owners, pen makers, boat builders, turners, etc.

It is possible to make a list off to the side of the 'creek, but I'd prefer to see it include many areas of interest, not just laser-heads. A simple data-base that can be filtered for state, services, pro/hobby, etc. can't be that hard to find as a plug-in. It could already be an existing Excel or Access template ready to go.

I'm thinking that the 'creek is almost set up for this. A few more fields in the member's profiles and you've got it. Heck, if we can filter for birthday's not hidden and make b'day announcements, we can certainly filter for 'laser engravers' in 'NJ'.

Keith Outten
01-16-2010, 7:48 AM
We started with a basic list and it is growing in features which is what happened to the first listing. It became to time consuming to keep up, it also became a source of advertising that was competing with our banner ads program.

We have a project that we have been thinking about for some time that might be what some of you are looking for, it is a "Friends of The Creek List". The list would include your business name and contact information including your web link. The cost would be $50.00 per year to be included on the list which I think is inexpensive considering the link value and the exposure here. It would be tied to your login here and our accounting system for tracking purposes. I would have programming and maintenance expenses involved so I can't do it for free. A lot of people would have to sign up for this system before I can justify the cost.

The other option I mentioned is just a new thread, in our Lumber Yard forum, with a list of names and link to your PM box here. I can do this for Contributors without a fee, it will help you find each other here on The Creek but it won't be an internet advertising system.

You already know that any Contributor can post in the Lumber Yard and ask for help on a project any time without the business restrictions we enforce in our public forums.

Mike Null
01-16-2010, 8:02 AM
Keith

As we have previously discussed I'll be the first to sign up for the Friends of the Creek advertising. I'm ready today.

I'll take 2 links.

Scott Shepherd
01-16-2010, 8:37 AM
Sign me up for Friends of the Creek as well!

Glad to pay for that.

Mitchell Andrus
01-16-2010, 9:55 AM
Sign me up. I contribute $50.00/year as-is, another $50.00 is well worth it (and deductible) even if I get only one small sale as a result.

Keith Outten
01-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Mitchell,

Anyone who signs up for the Friends of the Creek service will be given Contributors status automatically so it won't be necessary to make multiple donations here but thanks for the friendly gesture :)

Scott Challoner
01-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I'd be interested in "Friends of the Creek" too.

Jerry Hewett
01-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Sign me up for "Friends of the Creek" as well!

Dan Hintz
01-16-2010, 7:27 PM
I'm in :) Hurry up, I'm supposed to expire within the next few weeks...

Mitchell Andrus
01-16-2010, 9:16 PM
I'm supposed to expire within the next few weeks...

Sorry to hear that. If you have a favorite charity...where would you like donations sent. I hope your famil... Oh. ...your membership, right? Yea.... membership.

Randy Walker
01-17-2010, 12:36 AM
I’m up for it. The BOTs and the SIGNERS and some others will want in on it too, I’m sure. Sounds like the start of a beautiful thing.

Randy Walkerhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Stephen Kane
01-17-2010, 8:52 AM
I'll sign up also.

Cliff Patrick
01-18-2010, 5:00 PM
Sign me up too please.

Keith Outten
01-28-2010, 7:48 AM
Aaron and I discussed the Friends of The Creek project again last night. He is scheduled for a short vacation next week however he has agreed to put the project on his schedule the week he returns.

I have asked him to develope a page that would allow you to input your own information and links and to create a new account status here to track your information to make it as automatic a system as possible. He will also design a new logo graphic that will be visible on every page of The Creek, most likely at the bottom of each page.

The list will be open to everyone no matter what your specialty. It will have its own search utility so you will be able to search on any field and get results fast.

Mitchell Andrus
01-28-2010, 8:00 AM
Anything that helps 'Creekers and visitors (future 'Creekers) find more of the resources they need can't be a bad thing. This is what the 'net is all about, right?

Thanks for your efforts in making the 'Creek one of the best go-to sites on my computer.

Tim Bateson
01-28-2010, 8:15 AM
Thanks Keith. :D

Dan Hintz
01-28-2010, 8:57 AM
Awesome news, Keith :)

Dee Gallo
01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Aaron and I discussed the Friends of The Creek project again last night. He is scheduled for a short vacation next week however he has agreed to put the project on his schedule the week he returns.

I have asked him to develope a page that would allow you to input your own information and links and to create a new account status here to track your information to make it as automatic a system as possible. He will also design a new logo graphic that will be visible on every page of The Creek, most likely at the bottom of each page.

The list will be open to everyone no matter what your specialty. It will have its own search utility so you will be able to search on any field and get results fast.

This is great, Keith! Thanks to you and Aaron for all your hard work.

:) dee

Chip Peterson
01-28-2010, 9:23 PM
Fantastic! Hurry back from vacation Aaron! :)

Thank you Keith!

Keith Outten
04-10-2010, 9:08 AM
You asked for it and now you have it.

Friends of the Creek Directory Service (FOTC) (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php)

Aaron took all of the comments and suggestions your offered into consideration and has just opened up his new Directory Service for all to search, browse and hopefully, join.

This is much more than a simple list, the new Friends of The Creek Directory is several thousand lines of custom programing that is integrated into the vBulletin software here. The new Directory has powerful features and allows you to input your own information and update it as necessary.

Please take a few minutes of your time and read the information provided in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137706), make comments and help us to modify the new directory to make it better.

Since this idea was developed based on requests from the people in this forum I hope that I will have your support getting it off the ground. This is one of those Help Me Help You situations. However it goes I appreciate your efforts in the past and I have my fingers crossed anxiously awaiting to see if the FOTC is going to fly or flop :)