PDA

View Full Version : G1023SLW problems

Shawn Siegrist
01-15-2010, 9:55 AM
I finished setting up my new G1023SLW Tablesaw and I'm getting saw marks on my cuts. I've tried three different blades and all three of them had the same results. I removed the blade and checked the arbor nut with my dial indicator and it wobbles. The gauge shows that it moves from 0 to 6 as I turn it by hand. Also if I lightly push on the arbor nut or anything that is connected to the arbor nut I get movement. It isn't much but it's definitly moving with minimal force applied. What could be the problem or should I just call Grizzly and deal with them?

Thanks,
Shawn

Matt Sollars
01-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Sounds scary, and probably a little dangerous if the arbor isn't secure. I'd call Grizzly and let them take care of you.

Matt

Shawn Siegrist
01-15-2010, 10:41 AM
It doesn't move much, but it will move slightly with very little force. I'm wondering if something wasn't tightened at the factory.

michael case
01-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Shawn,

I'm sorry, but I'm not clear what you mean when you say the nut is wobbling. Do you mean the nut does not lock tightly against the blade i.e that it is loose and wobbles? Are talking about run out i.e. variations in the trueness of the arbor? If could clarify this I would like to help.

Shawn Siegrist
01-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm talking about run out, the arbor is not true. Also if I push on anthing that is connected to the arbor the arbor moves as well.

Mikail Khan
01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
If the plunger of the dial indicator is in contact with where the blade sits on the arbor and you are getting 6 thou movement as you rotate the arbor you should call grizzly.

If the needle on the indicator is moving smoothly from 0 up to 6 and then back down it could be an eccentricity problem. If it flicks up at one point and then drops back down just as quickly it could be a high or low spot.

If the arbor moves when you push it radially you should measure the movement and have the info available for Grizz tech support. Antifriction bearings have an internal clearance which will allow for some movement, but you need to measure it to see whether the movement you are getting is within tolerance.

Did you mount a blade and measure the total runout of the blade or blades? Have that info available for the tech support people as well.

MK

Shawn Siegrist
01-15-2010, 1:35 PM
With the dial indicator on the arbor it appears that the arbor moves at the same spot each time. It gradual creeps up to 6 and then back down to zero. With a blade on it does the same thing.

Thank you for the info.

Rich Aldrich
01-15-2010, 7:02 PM
I had vibration on my G1023 for a year or so. Then, it started ripping wider than the fence was set. I pulled the arbor out and found the bearings had spun on the arbor. It was well past warranty, so I ordered an arbor from Grizzly and bearings from one of our industrial bearing suppliers. Once they were changed, it was good as new.

In your case, it sounds like the face of the arbor is not turned truely perpendicular to the rotation axis of the arbor. Make sure the face where the blade mounts is clean and burr free. If it is clean, a new arbor may be necessary. If it is out of warranty, a machine shop should be able to remachine the arbor face. Either way, you will also have to change bearings. If I remember correctly, the arbor was around $60 and the bearings were $12. The rest is just your time and effort.