PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Casters.....opinions?

Matt Sollars
01-15-2010, 9:02 AM
Has anybody used these or have an opinion on them. I'm needing to ''mobilize'' most of the stuff in my basement shop and was flipping through the 2010 catalog.

They seem nice enough 3'' or 4'' red poly. ones. Decent price.
Just wondering about the quality from folks that may have used them?

Thanks guys.

Matt

Jim O'Dell
01-15-2010, 9:18 AM
I have a set of the G8172s that are going on the TS mobile base I'm finalizing the design on. I heard from one person that he has the same ones on his bench, and that they are very heavy duty. Holding them in my hand, they look like they will do what ever you want them to!! Heavy duty isn't just a buzz word with these. Grease zerk on the swivel and on the caster bearings. Jim.

Joel Earl
01-15-2010, 9:29 AM
I think I have total of 44 in use in shop on various stations, carts, tables, etc. The 4" are a joy to behold after trying out several others that frankly stunk.

I also have a RT on some Woodcraft 4" dual lock swivels which are very nice but about twice the money. A set of LV's also here - excellent too.

Bang for buck without sacrificing quality goes to the Grizzly's by a wide margin.
Everything in shop is mobile .... has to be. These things have been a blessing

Matt Sollars
01-15-2010, 9:35 AM
thanks guys.
What size would you recommend? Seems like 4'' is popular. I'd like to stay away from ones i need to grease myself, but if i have to, i have to.

When you say you have 44 in use, are those the 4'' red poly. casters? or just grizzly casters in general?

i'll probably do two fixed and two locking swivels for each application.
any thoughts on that configuration?

thanks guys.

Matt

Matt Sollars
01-15-2010, 10:07 AM
also.....are the red poly's the way to go, or should i be considering another type of caster??

thanks

Gary Chester
01-15-2010, 11:53 AM
I started with the 2 swivel/ 2 non-swivel configuration... It wasn't too long before I changed to all swivel... much more maneuverable.

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I started with the 2 swivel/ 2 non-swivel configuration... It wasn't too long before I changed to all swivel... much more maneuverable.

Although that's very true, I find that's the problem.

Once all four wheels have no directional bias, the object has to be forced to go in the direction you want.

I find that a problem with a 700 pound machine, I like to go in a straight line until I turn it. Maybe I'm just not strong enough to wrestle with it.

I like two fixed and two swivel wheels, or even better, a semi live skid design.

Regards, Rod.

Josh Reet
01-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Like John, I think I've got a total of 30+ of them in my workshop. I just bought another set of 4 the other day.

The ones that have the "dual" lock (roll and swivel) are pretty handy if you want to use them on a machine that would benefit. Otherwise I tend to use 2 swivel and 2 regular locking swivel (just stops rolling) mostly in 3 or 4 inch sizes and mostly the standard black ones. The only thing I went bigger on was my sheetgoods rack where I went with 5 inch (I believe). The red ones are really nice, more like rollerblade wheels. But they are pretty pricey for putting under storage shelves or whatnot. So I tend to stay away from them.

Stan Mitchell
01-15-2010, 2:04 PM
I'm another fan of the great "bang-for-the-buck" wheels that Grizzly sells.

Most in use are the red poly 3" locking swivels: band saw, router station, mortising machine. And then I have the super heavy duty (the ones with grease zerks) on my 42"x84" work bench.

I'm using the Rockler all terrain mobile base on the table saw and it has 5" red poly wheels I think. Other large equipment in shop came with wheels.

Gerald Jensen
01-15-2010, 2:18 PM
I have a bunch of their red 4" casters in my shop ... they are terrific. Worth every penny I paid for them.

Matt Sollars
01-15-2010, 2:23 PM
Sounds like any of them would fail to disappoint. I'll order some up as soon as I can and let you know how they work out.

I don't remember seeing any ''double locking'' casters in the catalog.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks guys.

Matt

Dan Friedrichs
01-15-2010, 3:02 PM
I don't remember seeing any ''double locking'' casters in the catalog.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Matt

Lucky this thread should come up - I was balking at the Woodcraft $16/ea double-locking ones, and disappointed when I didn't see any double-locking ones in the new Grizzly catalog. After seeing this thread, I looked closer, and the red poly ones are, in fact, double locking.

Here's the one that I think everyone is talking about:
http://grizzly.com/products/3-Red-Polyurethane-Swivel-Caster-Threaded/H0693

It doesn't show the brake in that picture, but does say: "Brake stops both the wheel rotation and the swivel movement"