PDA

View Full Version : Table saw miter gauge mod.

Glen Butler
01-15-2010, 12:29 AM
I have a problem with the miter gauge for my table saw. It slops in the miter slot, so squaring it is a moot point because it can't stay square. I would like to drill and tap a hole on the side of the bar in front and in back and put a set screw that I can adjust the side slop out of the bar. My problem is I unless I get a screw that is softer than the miter track I will wear the track not the screw. Cast iron is pretty soft isn't it? How does brass compare? Is it even possible to get a brass set screw? Copper would be nice.

Rick Davidson
01-15-2010, 1:06 AM
You can order all types of set screws from Mcmaster Carr With spring loaded tips or brass tips what ever. Or you can use a center punch and use it on both sides of the bar for the miter gauge center punching the bar about every 2" or so. it will cause the bar to pucker out just slightly making it fit snugger. If that isn't enough you can hit all the spots again a little harder or if it's to much just hit it with a little sand paper.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-15-2010, 1:54 AM
Stock miter? IMO they all more or less junk. Incra makes a basic miter for less than 50 bucks (shipped to your door) from Amazon. It has nylon bushings that can be adjusted so there is no slop. Check it out. To make your stock miter work as well as the Incra will take a lot more effort than it's worth.

Just my $.02.

Glen Butler
01-15-2010, 2:09 AM
Kyle, your answer gave me the idea to just use a nylon screw. I dont use it often enough to warrant buying something else.

Ken Shoemaker
01-15-2010, 7:43 AM
Glen,

Kyle suggest an aftermarket gauge. I got one for Christmas and love it. One I got it set up, dead one every time. BTW - I use a miter gauge now more than ever because it's not such a PITA!!!!.

http://www.amazon.com/Incra-MITERV27-Miter-V27-Gauge/dp/B0007UQ2DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1263558909&sr=8-1

Good Luck , Ken

John McClanahan
01-15-2010, 7:48 AM
I have a Incra V27. Love it.

John

Jerome Hanby
01-15-2010, 9:34 AM
I think Ken nailed it. I used my factory miter gauge only when I absolutely had to. Since I got the Incra 1000SE, I use it for every crosscut. Had a little accident that demolished my crosscut sled and I have yet to miss it!

Kyle Iwamoto
01-15-2010, 4:18 PM
I'm sorry, that's the one, but it was 47 bucks, not 6 months ago.

kenneth kayser
01-17-2010, 2:49 AM
I have an Incra but do not find it adequate for use on larger materials. It is excellent for small miters but doesn't seem robust enough for heavier materials. Say crosscutting a 1 x 6 x 6' piece of oak. You can easily take slop out of a bar by staking. However, it will not be long before the slop is back. I assume that hardened steel set screws will wear into the slots. However neither brass or nylon will.

I use my "came with the saw" (Delta Cabinet Saw) miter gauge with some slop. If you always use the gauge on the same side of the blade, say the right side, the gauge will always tend to turn in a counter clockwise direction under load. Therefore, if you set your gauge up with the slop counter-clockwise, it will cut square.

Also, the workpiece must not move during the cut. Sandpaper glued to the face of the gauge is very useful in preventing movement.

Glen Butler
01-17-2010, 4:41 AM
Pretty sure the one I have is better than that incra everyone is posting about. I just need to take out the slop and I will be golden. I have a crosscut sled that I use for anything too big. Thanks for the help. I got my answer, if even indirectly.

Barry Vabeach
01-17-2010, 7:53 AM
Glen, I drilled , countersunk and tapped for 4 nylon screws spaced along the length of the bar. Since I couldn't find nylon set screws, I just used flat heads. I was concerned that the would move around once they were in place, but that hasn't happened.