PDA

View Full Version : Old Atlas Jointer

Scott Parks
10-17-2004, 10:35 PM
A few years ago I scored an Atlas 4" jointer at a garage sale for $30. Anyway, it is now time for me to replace the knives. My local power tool store did not know where to find them. In an internet search I found Global Tooling that makes HSS 4" knives that claim to last twice as long and fit Delta, Atlas, etc. They listed them at $8.10, which is a third of the price of Delta knives from another source. I'm sceptical of buying something cheap from a place I've never heard of. Besides, I'm not exactly sure what knives fit this machine. I compared them to a set of Freud 4" knives, but they had a different cutting angle and were a different thickness.

Anyway, has anyone used Global, or know where I'd find good quality knives for this "antique" machine?

I love this good ol' machine, it is a good workhorse in my shop!

Gary Max
10-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Just for the heck of it I did a internet search for Global Tooling. From what I can see these folks know what they are doing. You could always just call them up and talk to them. I buy alot of stuff from small companies and I am happy with them most of the time. They seem to take better care of their customers than the BIG guys do.

Just my 2 cents worth

Terry Quiram
10-18-2004, 9:45 AM
Scott

If you have a sharpening shop in your area they should be able to order and make any size blade you need. I had a second set made for my old Faye and Egan 16" jointer.

Terry