PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine came in. Scary sharp in 5 seconds!

David Hostetler
01-14-2010, 9:59 PM
My Wolverine jig came in, actually Tuesday, but didn't have a chance to even try to set it up until tonight. I went ahead and set it up with my Ryobi 6" grinder. I know 6" isn't ideal, but WOW what a difference! I had been doing reasonably well with the grinder, with the toolrest more or less free handing the grind... But the accuracy I get with the Wolverine is stunning! The results with the 6" grinder are enough to keep me from having to replace it with an 8" model for quite some time...

Now that my roughing and spindle gouges are frighteningly sharp, I get to start turning again this weekend!

Baxter Smith
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice to have the same bevel all around the gouge isn't it!:) Sure helped mine!

David Hostetler
01-14-2010, 10:11 PM
I could get an even bevel freehand, but it took a lot of passes, and material! I am pretty sure my 3/4 roughing gouge is going to be MUCH happier now!

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Glad to hear you got your system up and running! I love mine! Takes just a minute to freshen the edge and get back to turning! Sharp tools make a world of difference!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Good to hear. I love mine. It takes me longer to take the few steps to use it than to sharpen.

David Hostetler
01-17-2010, 12:47 AM
I took the opportunity to use my newly sharpened 3/4" roughing gouge, AND a brand new, never been used or sharpened by me 1" roughing gouge today... It appears Benjamin's best tools work best with a good sharpening on them that they do not appear to get from the factory...

Maybe I'm nuts, but I was having fun just roughing out a spindle from smoker firewood pecan today...

Mauricio Ulloa
01-17-2010, 6:59 AM
Good for you! I've been using mine with a 6" grinder for years without problems. The wolverine is a great fixture!

JerHall
01-17-2010, 10:10 AM
especially with high speed steel where "blueing" is really not an issue, and if you already have aluminum oxide wheels. And with the jig you are removing so little metal that heating is minimal. This video is great on sharpening lathe tools, and he recommends a 6" grinder!
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2008/09/23/podcast-37-turning-tools-sharpen-your-skills-with-sharp-tools/
Personally I like less of a hollow grind (edge is a bit stronger) and longer lasting wheels and the 1" width so I don't slide off so easily. But that doesn't mean a standard high speed 6"x3/4 grinder with ordinary Al Ox wheels won't do a fine job. Replacing that would not be high on my list of priorities if I was a new turner. But if you have to buy two new wheels for 50 - 80 bucks it is a hard call to not take a long look at the $100 woodcraft 8" grinder with two decent al ox wheels.

David Hostetler
01-17-2010, 6:32 PM
Well, I did make the jump to an 8" grinder (Ryobi BGH827) and it works fine. I do need the white aluminum oxide wheels (on order), but for now the OE wheels will have to do...

Only disappointment I have with the Ryobi is that the product description says it includes a wheel dresser, but it doesn't...