PDA

View Full Version : Book Cutting

Al Bodie
01-14-2010, 9:10 PM
I am new to laser hobby have a VersaLaser 2.0 with air assist and cutting table. The title of this thread is misleading, but what I want to do is make a novelty item by cutting the image of a gun inside the pages of a book so that a pistol could be stored in it. I have done some sample cuts with some success, but would like suggestion on how to do this so the cut is neat and not show signs of burning..I am not looking to accomplish this for any criminal intention, just as a demonstration item. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I have been a lurker for a while and real enjoy reading this site..thanks

Dan Hintz
01-14-2010, 9:19 PM
You won't be able to do more than a few sheets at a time without charring. For projects like this, a die cutter is the ideal solution.

Al Bodie
01-14-2010, 9:50 PM
Do you think wetting the pages before cutting would reduce charring?

Bill Cunningham
01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Wetting the pages would reduce charring, but it would also reduce the number of pages you could cut.. The wetter the material, the more energy it absorbs. I would make a small clamping frame that would hold book pages open, and cut ten or so at a time, flip them back under the frame then cut the next ten etc.. etc. etc..

Roy Nicholson
01-15-2010, 4:19 AM
I'd think that only doing a few pages at a time would give uneven edges and a stepped effect. As was said previously Dye Cutting would be much better for this.

Regards

Roy N.

Dan Hintz
01-15-2010, 7:23 AM
Do you think wetting the pages before cutting would reduce charring?
Yes, but have you ever seen a book after it has been soaked with liquid and then dries? You'd have to keep the book clamped down for days or put it in the oven for a few hours to dry it out (also while clamped).

David Fairfield
01-15-2010, 9:06 AM
Why would charring matter? Its not like you're going to flip through the book reading the pages after they have been cut.

Secure the book so it doesn't shift. Focus, cut, remove loose chads (be careful not to shift the book) step the focus down, cut again till the hole is deep enough.

When you're deep enough, just glue all the pages together. If you leave a page at beginning of the book uncut, it will be clean. You can cut it manually with an exacto, and glue that down to the top. Before you do that, paint hole in the book red or black or line it with felt or something. Nobody will be the wiser.
Make sure its a crummy book though!

Dave

Martin Boekers
01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
How do you plan on binding it when finshed?

Check this out for a little more detailed book!

http://cubeme.com/blog/2007/07/24/your-house-laser-cut-art-book-by-olafur-eliasson/

Marty

Andy Joe
01-15-2010, 11:04 AM
I wanted to try this so i did. I cut through half the book without any bad charring but the pages tend to want to move from the airpressure. That link was amazing, i want to try that next

Chip Peterson
01-15-2010, 11:17 AM
You might want to watch "Lockup" or "Cops" to find out how they do it in prison. I doubt they use a laser or die cutters! :)

"No Sweetie, I'm not a couch potato, I'm doing research!"

George D Gabert
01-15-2010, 3:39 PM
Seperate the pages together in 3 sections. The top, the bottom and the middle. Glue the middle pages together using only a thin layer of glue and clamping. Cut the middle section. Glue the bottom pages to the middle.

I have done it using a scroll saw for hiding keys and stuff in the house.

Regards
GDG