PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 5

MIKE E BEE
01-14-2010, 8:43 PM
Hi guys,

Here are some pics of my 5th finished bowl. It is roughly 4.5" around by 3.5" high. This was turned from a solid piece of rosewood. Being that is made from rosewood I tried to make it look like a rose. I think I accomplished that or at least came close but I will let you guys be the judge. Either way I am thrilled with the final result. Love the grain in the wood.

Also, thanks to somebody posting a picture of a donut jig, I was able to build one and it worked really well for finishing the bottom. I still need some pointers as far as what the bottom should look like but I certainly made a few steps forward on this one.

Mark Hubl
01-14-2010, 8:47 PM
Mike,
That looks great. The rosewood looks especially nice. Now, on to number 6.

David E Keller
01-14-2010, 8:51 PM
That's a beautiful piece of wood and a nice bowl as well. The bottom can be finished in a number of ways. I personally don't like to see a formal recess or foot on most bowls because it reminds me of the holding point. I usually turn the holding point away entirely and finish the bottom with a very slightly concave base. There aren't any rules though... Turn what your eye likes to see.

Your really making progress with your turnings, and I'm looking forward to number 6.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-14-2010, 8:53 PM
Mike I made this album just for these questions, it is my way, you can do it your way, just shows the way I do them mostly :)

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum23.html

And yes beautiful wood :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2010, 9:23 PM
Nice looking bowl out of some nice wood.

Baxter Smith
01-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Nice job Mike! Pretty wood. Leo's pics should give you some good ideas. Thanks for the pics Leo. I needed some new thoughts for shapes and bottoms.

John Keeton
01-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Mike, nice job on the bowl and beautiful wood!!

Sid Matheny
01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Great wood, shape and finish. the bottom is not the style I like but for #5 I think you did a super job!

Sid

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Mike - looks like you are getting this bowl thing down pretty good! Nice ogee shape to the bowl! Pretty wood! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

MIKE E BEE
01-15-2010, 6:45 AM
Thanks Leo, that very helpful. Nice stuff too.

MIKE E BEE
01-15-2010, 7:01 AM
Thanks Steve. Yes coming along on the bowls. Still a long way to go and alot of tools to be aquired one way or another. I am going to try to make as much as I can. Definately in need of a good chuck so thats at the top of the list. I also need a couple of new tool rests. Having trouble getting all the way inside the bowl. I looked at Rockler and of course they are not cheap either. I should be able to make those. I did add the caliper set and that was quite helpful. This bowl is probably my most symetricly sound bowl as far as keeping the wall thickness the same all the way down. A little easier than a tape measure, a ruler and my fingers. Ha Ha Also in need of a bowl gouge. I did not realize until yesterday that there is gouge for going with the grain and a different one for against the grain. Obvoiusly explains why when I am roughing out the inside of the bowl, things are a little jumpy and I get alot of catches. Again, turn and learn!!

MIKE E BEE
01-15-2010, 7:03 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2010, 8:59 AM
Mike - please don't tell me that you have been turning bowls using a spindle gouge!

If so - please be aware that they are not designed to handle the cross-grain stresses placed on them when turning bowls and can break! The flat tang of a spindle gouge is not strong enough for these stresses and can/do break with a bad catch! If you are building your tool inventory and you want to turn bowls - then a bowl gouge is a must!