PDA

View Full Version : Anyone upgrade from iPod to iTouch?

Bruce Page
01-14-2010, 8:24 PM
LOML has been eyeing my 80gig iPod..:cool:
Any issues with the iTouch? I read somewhere that the older charging docks won’t charge the iTouch, is that true?

Burton Jussi
01-14-2010, 8:48 PM
I have the iphone and it takes a different charger if your plugging into the wall or using a car charger. If you're charging via computer you can use the same. I *think* it's the same with the touch. But my phone came with a wall charger. My car fm transmitter also it doesn't work with both.

If you just want to listen to music or watch some video then I'd stick with the ipod. Especially if you have lots of music/video. The largest touch model is 64gb and it's like $100 more than the 80gb classic. But if you're like me and don't have a huge collection and like all the apps, games, etc, the go for the touch. Or better yet, if you're an ATT subscriber, get the iphone. Old gen for $99 and new gen for $199 (with data plan).

Jim Becker
01-14-2010, 9:36 PM
My older daughter has an iPod Touch. It's pretty much an iPhone without the phone, if you will...very capable device and nice user interface. The big advantage is the apps and WiFi Internet access. If you just want the music, then there is little reason to move to the Touch.

And yes, some earlier charging/docking devices are not compatible. Other are with an adapter; some are compatible natively. Be sure you check specs before you buy anything in that respect.

Bruce Page
01-14-2010, 9:46 PM
Thanks for the info. The WiFi is what interests me the most. But Apple changing the plug is a deal breaker. Sorry Apple, with my car hard wired, plus several docks in the house & shop, it would cost too much to change over.
Oh well, maybe someone will come out with an adapter plug.

Justin Freund
01-14-2010, 10:42 PM
When you buy the iPod touch, you get an adapter plate that fits into a lot of docks to hold the iPod properly. As far as the plug, its the same plug as my old ipod and the ipod Nano. Maybe the iPhone is different but the iPod touch stayed the same.

I love mine. I love the apps, games, and the wifi. The screen is amazing too. I was kind off put off by the small drive size vs the cost, but I realized I could never listen to all the music on there and in reality only actually listen to the playlists of selected songs anyway. Plus its a flash drive, so I can work out with it without it constantly skipping.

Glenn Clabo
01-15-2010, 5:48 AM
Bruce,
We have all ages of IPods...and IPhones...and my kid had an ITouch. The charger connectors can be used across all of them. The only difference is the thickness adapters for the ones that stand up the device.

Tim Morton
01-15-2010, 6:50 AM
Thanks for the info. The WiFi is what interests me the most. But Apple changing the plug is a deal breaker. Sorry Apple, with my car hard wired, plus several docks in the house & shop, it would cost too much to change over.
Oh well, maybe someone will come out with an adapter plug.

the plug has not changed....

Bruce Page
01-15-2010, 2:45 PM
My confusion comes from an Amazon 1 star review of the iTouch 64gig 3G where he starts with:
“This should make you really mad. I will explain the issues and offer some solutions.
I have owned a lot of iPods, I just got a new 64GB Touch 3G only to find it would not charge with any of my docking stations, car chargers or wall chargers. Why?” Continued…

The guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about and even offers a solution that involves opening up the connector and rearranging some conductors.

I would sure like the WiFi benefit when on travel. My 5 year old company issued iPac leaves a lot to be desired and I hate to carry my laptop around airports.

Eric Franklin
01-16-2010, 7:20 AM
The plug didn't change. Apple removed firewire charging support with the current and previous generation iPhone & iPod Touch. Majority of the old devices will play music through the dock connector but not charge it. You might get a message that the device isn't compatible but it usually works. I have seen the iPhone create interference on older devices and the iPhone will ask if you want to put the iPhone in airplane mode to stop the interference.

Alan Zenreich
01-16-2010, 7:42 AM
It's not just the firewire charging change that causes some incompatibilities.

There's also a change to one of the pins that requires the newer plug spec. This pin controls the audio out, so it would affect older car installations.

For example, I used to use a SIK DIN cable to connect between my iPods and a headphone amp. This no longer works with the iPod Touch units. The SIK was wired to the older standard, and that standard was updated well before the Touch shipped, but the Touch requires the newer standard.

Bruce Page
01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I ordered one through SMC/Amazon, it should be here on Tuesday. I'll let you know if it charges like my iPod classic. Amazon has a great return policy so I'm not too worried about it.

Doug Mason
01-16-2010, 1:38 PM
I bought an ipod when they first came out along with a couple expensive docking stations (one for the home, one for the shop); well, last year I lost that ipod and bought a new iPod Nano; when I got home it wouldn't work on my docking stations--and only upon inquiry was I told that the charging formats had changed. So Apple sold my a $30 dollar adaptor (Griffinth?) and it works. It certaily did give me a pause because I don't want to be upgrading this stuff every three years!