PDA

View Full Version : Big minnow - little minnow

Betsy Yocum
10-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Took a bandsaw box class at Woodcraft this weekend - had a good time. Learned the basics of bandsaw boxes. Could not resist trying to make a miniature - so here is the large box next to the minature - you can see the small box is just at an 1" high - the drawer works - I could not get good enough detail in a picture to show - (not much of a photog :( - my apologies to the photo police)

I've not put a finish on yet - I only do finishing work when I have several projects to do at once - saves on the clean up, etc.

Thanks for looking
Betsy

John Miliunas
10-17-2004, 11:21 PM
That's really neat, Betsy! :) I know I couldn't get my big mitts close enough to the blade for such fine work. Great job! :D Oh yeah....How did you line the box interior? Suede, velvet, flocking??? :D :confused: :cool:

Betsy Yocum
10-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Mike - I'm going to use flocking for both boxes. I'll be using a q-tip to apply the adhesive to the mini-minnow. The interior of the drawers are barely big enough for the tip of my little finger!

It was a fun challenge - can't see myself making to many of them - but it was fun all the same.:)

Betsy

John Miliunas
10-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Uhhhhhh...."Mike"??? :confused: I've been called a LOT of names, so I guess "Mike" isn't so bad! :D Good luck on the flocking! Don't know if I'd even bother with the "bazooka" for that little bit! :) :cool:

Betsy Yocum
10-18-2004, 8:30 AM
Uhhhhhh...."Mike"??? :confused: I've been called a LOT of names, so I guess "Mike" isn't so bad! :D Good luck on the flocking! Don't know if I'd even bother with the "bazooka" for that little bit! :) :cool:
Sorry - John - my humlest apologies :o - must have had to much sawdust in my system to navigate the creek. :rolleyes:

I'll post pictures of the final product - I figure it's just as easy to flock the little one with the big one - the little guy will use the left overs the big guy does not use.

Betsy

John Miliunas
10-18-2004, 8:35 AM
No prob on the name thing. :) Like I said, it's *still* a LOT better than what some folks call me! :eek: I *am* really interested in seeing what that mini-box looks like once finished. That is truly neat! I'm envious, as I just don't believe I can do such small work. I imagine it requires a great amount of patience and concentration. :cool:

Frank Pellow
10-18-2004, 9:00 AM
Very nice Betsy! Like John, I don't believe that I could create such small work.

Betsy Yocum
10-18-2004, 9:13 AM
Very nice Betsy! Like John, I don't believe that I could create such small work.
The little cuts are definetly not for the faint of heart - I did use the scroll saw for the inside cuts - just used the band saw to cut off the backs and front. The eraser end of one of those multitude of pencils made for a good push stick to keep the piece going straight.

Thanks for looking.
Betsy

Kelly C. Hanna
10-18-2004, 9:49 AM
Nice work Betsy!

Betsy Yocum
10-18-2004, 1:07 PM
Thanks Kelly!

Betsy Yocum
10-21-2004, 9:25 PM
I've finally had time to finish and flockthe drawers of my minnows - hope you enjoy them.:)

Betsy

Frank Pellow
10-21-2004, 9:38 PM
They look even better finished Betsy. I am quite inmpressed.

Charles McKinley
10-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Great work Betsy,

I don't know why but things seem more interesting when they are really small or really BIG.

Keep up the great work.

Betsy Yocum
10-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Thanks Frank and Chuck - I think small seems cool just because it seems impossible to get such detail in small things.

Thanks again for looking.
Betsy

John Miliunas
10-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Yeah, what Frank said: They look real nice all finished up! :) Still, the little one might be too tough for me to make. Unless, of course, I could fit the end of my pinky finger in there, 'cuz that's what I'd probably lose trying to cut the little thing! :eek: Were you able to get nice coverage with the flocking inside the pinto-sized one? :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
10-22-2004, 12:14 AM
Beautiful finish work Betsy. You should show that off at the BBQ...I'll bring my reading glasses....:D

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 12:46 AM
Yeah, what Frank said: They look real nice all finished up! :) Still, the little one might be too tough for me to make. Unless, of course, I could fit the end of my pinky finger in there, 'cuz that's what I'd probably lose trying to cut the little thing! :eek: Were you able to get nice coverage with the flocking inside the pinto-sized one? :cool:
John - The flocking came out ok - I had to use the end of a q-tip with most of the cottom removed - it was harder than I thought it would be.

Kelly - I'll probably bring the little one to the bbq - the big one has been spoken for already - it's going into a lady's art shop of all places!:D

Betsy

Ed Hardin
10-22-2004, 3:40 PM
Hmmmmm. Betsy Yocom from dog patch huh. At least I have now found my heart surgeon. That's really terriffic. You have much, much, much more patience than I.

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 9:08 PM
Hmmmmm. Betsy Yocom from dog patch huh. At least I have now found my heart surgeon. That's really terriffic. You have much, much, much more patience than I.
Ed - I'm surprised that you are the first one to notice my last name!!! As the name implies my grandfather's family hails from the Osage County West Virginia area - dog patch central - If I had only a penny for everytime I've been called Mammie Yocum - I'd be a very, very rich woman!!!

Betsy - cousin to Lil Abner